Review: Airmega 400S Air Purifier

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/11/22/review-airmega-400s-air-purif.html

1 Like

Ooh, IoT. Be a love and post its IP, would you? Happy mutants want to play.

8 Likes

Did you buy yours for $650 or is this a review unit that you probably get to keep?

1 Like

Can’t wait to see the upcoming hyperbaric sleeping tent and associated fame pyramid with false media chambers.

1 Like

Airmega solicited the review and sent it to me. It goes back if they provide a label. But not at my expense. In that case it would probably be given away.

I quite like the idea of a “hack my air purifier” contest tho.

6 Likes

So it nags you to eat your bacon faster?

What’s not to like?

4 Likes

Yikes, you can get a highly rated Rabbit Air or 3 Honeywells for that price and I’m pretty skeptical that 1 centrally located air purifier can outperform 3 placed around your home. Or heck, at that price range you are already pretty close to medical grade air filtering like the IQAir setup. Even better, if you have central air you can install a whole house medical grade purifier for about $300 that cleans 1,200 CFM. $650 seems a steep price to pay to be part of the IoT

2 Likes

but can it be used as an end table? Enquiring minds want to know.
Because where are you going to put your coffee cup and remote in the picture?

I’d pay for a machine that emitted bacon scent.

1 Like

I doubt that this is a genuine @beschizza post

I am very confused by these recent reviews of things that are not really amazing, but also not completely shit, and also not remotely resembling anything I might want to own. They seem neither useful nor particularly entertaining, and I’m unsure of their purpose.

I much prefer reviews like this https://boingboing.net/2011/03/04/review-a-loaf-of-sno.html (direct link to video, since it seems to have gone missing from the original post: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qCv6pHvQRQ)

2 Likes

This strikes me as one of those products, like “gluten free,” that serves a real need of a small fraction of the population, but which is designed and marketed more towards the 90% of people who don’t actually need it. Really, if you have central air conditioning or forced air heating, you are much better served by a regularly changed high MERV rating furnace filter, unless you have a genuine medical reason to need to remove as many particulates and pollutants from the air as you possibly can. In which case, you’re better off buying a non-smart purifier and using the extra money to switch to non-toxic, natural, “free and clear” cleansers, detergents, and personal care products, which are the chief culprits in poor indoor air quality.

In our household (populated by people with pollen allergies, mold allergies, and chemical sensitivities) we do need dedicated air purifiers as well as the best furnace filter it’s possible to get, and there’s no way I would trust the programmers at some trendy startup to correctly ascertain whether or not we need the purifier turned up extra high or not. Especially since we have to guard against both particulates and VOCs.

I have looked at scores of air purifiers in the decades I’ve been living with this illness, and while every single one has a carbon filter in addition to a HEPA filter, the wimpy carbon filters on nearly all of them have only a homeopathic degree of efficacy. We use Allerair purifiers, which are one of the only brands that actually provides a robust amount of activated carbon in addition to HEPA filtration.

2 Likes

The outlet is at the top, and the controls too, so not really. But if you’re handy you could make a shelf on wee legs that goes atop it, for sure

1 Like

Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust into my side: and be not faithless, but believing!

3 Likes

That was a good review, wasn’t it.

Better but it needs more

1 Like

You had me at ring of colored light that turns with the air quality.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.