Review: Cappucino flavor Lays

And it tastes even better the second time!

1 Like

Shouldn’t that go the other way?

2 Likes

I too occasionally will buy a food Product on a lark because it sounds truly, truly awful. So far my favorite “odd” chip has been Lamb and Mint. The Maple Bacon ones even offended the dog.

Wonder when lays/walkers will come out with Durian flavor.

4 Likes

Of course 'round here we’re fond of chips with “old bay” seasoning on them. (or “crab chips”, the off-brand alternative)

I’ve tried 3 of the 4. The bacon mac and cheese is made with real bacon fat, so as a vegetarian I didn’t try them (as near as I can tell, the “bacon type natural flavoring” is vegetarian, but the bacon fat isn’t).

The cappucino were an OK flavor, just misapplied to potato chips. Of the test group I was with (read: my co-workers) I was the only one who could stand them, but not enough to seek them out. I did not buy more for later test groups (read: my gaming group)

The mango ones had a decidedly split reaction: about half the test groups felt that a potato chip should not taste like fruit, and utterly rejected them. The other half liked them.

The wasabi ginger ones were generally appreciated by those who like wasabi, and not tried by those who already know they don’t like wasabi. No one rejected the flavor as unsuitable for a potato chip. Overall, I’d say they rated very highly as a chip, and the most liked among the test groups.

The bacon mac and cheese was felt by the other taste-testers to be a “meh”, not particularly special, and similar to other flavors they’ve tried in the past.

If you like wasabi/horseradish, I’d recommend trying the wasabi ginger.

You say that so negatively

2 Likes
1 Like

If I see anything mango flavored I will give it at least one try. If I simply ate mangoes for literally every meal there would be
 Repercussions.

“these taste like ‘old’” was my initial reaction. not like old chips, but the general idea of old. A co-worker commented that they would benefit from a bit of cinnamon, and she’s right.
The mango salsa chips taste like mango candy, not much like a real mango, and the wasabi ginger ones didn’t have much bite. Have yet to try the bacon mac variety, but it seems like such a heavy flavor might have been better on a wavy chip.

1 Like

Considering how badly they screwed up Sriracha, I wouldn’t go anywhere near these.

I kind of want to try the Wasabi ones, but given how horrible the others are, I don’t want to bother buying a whole bag. I wish they had sample sizes of these things.

Really? I never was able to find the Sriracha ones. At least that means I didn’t miss much of anything :-/

Well, that wasabi snack mix still exists, and is roughly nutritionally equivalent to potato chips, so why bother?

yeah. It was pretty sad. I haven’t tried the Sriracha lollipops yet, but have higher hopes for them. http://www.lollyphile.com/products/sriracha-lollipops

I recognize that I am an utter freak, but reading that while enjoying a sriracha drenched saltine made me LOL.

In my schoolyard, the last few lines went

French-fried eyeballs rolling in a pool of mud
Too bad I forgot my spoon
But I got a straw

I think French-fried eyeballs rolling in a pool of mud is a more accurate description of this particular chip flavor than greasy-grimy gopher guts.

1 Like

I don’t know if this is Canada wide or just in Ontario but I witnessed a woman buying the Cinnamon Bun flavor Lays. That seemed conceptually horrible as a potato chip flavour.

I tried the Tzatziki flavour - I liked the idea but it tasted like sour cream and onion chips crossed with dill pickle chips with a lingering garlic-ish aftertaste. Not earth shaking. Eating tzatziki as a chip dip (like the for real kind) is good - this was less so.

Not that I think that I’ll be aware of it in any sort of ghosty-sense, but the idea of having a tomb that makes visitors think of potato chips and cappuccino is actually kind of awesome.

Doesn’t work so well the other way around though

Yes, a Capuchin monastery tomb. Rumor has it that their corpses are saturated with coffee.

2 Likes

How about a Capuchin with a couple shots of expresso?

2 Likes