Review: Guardians of the Galaxy 2

I´m not saying Marvel doesn´t do grimdark, but unlikeDC the don´t do JUST grimdark. Also DC is more grimderp.

3 Likes

Moreover it seems that DC’s grimdark seems to follow a particular… pattern over the last several movies:

SUPERMAN: “I’m a tortured loner who takes odd jobs across Canada while trying to uncover more information about my past. I also occasionally try to avoid getting in bar fights that might expose my super-invulnerability.”

BATMAN: “I’m a tortured loner who doesn’t like to shave regularly and I like to take a hands-on approach to beating people up. I have blades attached to my forearms and I’m not above maiming a perp now and then.”

WONDER WOMAN: “I’m a tortured loner who doesn’t age like normal humans, in fact I actually fought alongside American soldiers in some of the biggest conflicts of the 20th Century.”

AQUAMAN: “I’m a tortured loner who grumpily saves lives, likes to show off his muscled upper body, and downs liquor by the bottle in seedy bars.”

WOLVERINE:

9 Likes

The best Wonder Woman and Aquaman are from Kate Beaton.

7 Likes

Doctor Strange, I’m very glad I saw in 3D.

2 Likes

Its some fun stuff so why not?

My kid and I both thoroughly enjoyed it.

7 Likes

AND THEY’RE SUCCEEDING.

I mean, who would have guessed Guardians would be so successful?

It’s actually kind of amazing.

6 Likes

I enjoyed it quite a bit.

The one thing that irked me was… how did he get the tape deck for his ship?

2 Likes

That pod got a big fan boy grin off me; not a big as my nerdgasm for the reveal of Thanos at the end of Avengers though.

I cried at the end and I never cry, ever.

@Jonathan_Hendry, Maybe he traded the Greys for it; they are always coming to Earth to mutilate cattle and probe the vulnerable.

@TobinL If only DC got Paul Dini to write and produce their live action films instead of the likes of Zack Snyder.

@Ryuthrowsstuff

@Papasan Yes you are, little fella, yes you are.

@wolfman_al2 My favourite DC comic was Justice League Europe; full of fun, in jokes, and Gold and Blue, and Gnort.

5 Likes

I don’t know. The Dark Knight Rises wasn’t badly received; it just didn’t live up to expectations as a conclusion to the trilogy.

I don’t remember campaigns of “God, this movie is awful. Don’t see it,” like I saw for Green Lantern, or Man of Steel, or BvS, or Suicide Squad, or…

5 Likes

They’ve been really smart about getting really good people for these films who aren’t afraid to play things a bit risky. They started off with ‘safe’ properties (if you count casting Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man as ‘safe’) but with the huge success of movies about a talking raccoon, a walking tree, and cosmic magic, are getting even weirder, which is awesome. Coming soon: Inhumans, starring a woman with invincible hair and a dog with a tuning fork on its head.

5 Likes

I do hope that Lockjaw features in the Inhumans’ series, him and Karnak’s hat.

1 Like

Well, it’s no longer a film – they decided to do a series instead. I can’t say whether Karnak’s hat will feature, but Lockjaw has been confirmed as a character.

1 Like

Yeah, I’d edited my comment :smiley: I was just looking at some pictures of Karnak and one came up of him and Gorgon, and I was thinking, I hope they don’t do some heavy handed casting and have an East Asian for Karnak and a black guy for the “heavy hitter” of the group… Doh!

The TV-production budget doesn’t bode well for that one. That hair looks more “store-bought Halloween wig / Sansa Stark cosplay” quality than “constantly writhing mass of follicular fighting prowess.”

3 Likes

Wait, what?

Does that mean no Vin Diesel as Black Bolt?

1 Like

Where’s Blackbolt’s mask, and his tuning fork?! Also, I wonder if his will be a speaking role?

Edit: Reading up on the series, it turns out they are sticking with Blackbolt being the strong, silent type; using Alien Sign Language to communicate with his family. Neato.

1 Like

Iron Man was a safe play because with the general public he was a somewhat unknown character. The important thing is that they didn’t try to force the “cinematic universe.” While it’s obvious that they had to plan the movies ahead of time they definitely used a soft touch in nudging them towards the Avengers. The post credits scene in Iron Man was never shown before the film was released. Some say that this was to avoid leaks bit it could have as easily been an escape hatch in case the film didn’t test well enough.

4 Likes

That not-to-mentioned-for-fear-of-spoilers-for-others characters was one of my absolute faves, ever since I started reading reprints of him in the back of another Marvel comic. Just so weird. Like a Blue Oyster Cult album was merged with superhero Harlan Ellison.

1 Like