Review: Ovation Pumpkin Spice generic chocolate orange

I always thought the cinnamon thing was part of the influence from Mexico. It’s really popular in Mexican cooking. And, being from where I am, I love cinnamon… goes great with chocolate and tequila too.

I like a lot of fruit and chocolate mixes, particularly cherries… but where I draw the line is bacon. No, just no.

2 Likes

A lot of US recipes use bizarre amounts of cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger-- especially cinnamon. Mostly, I reduce the amount of these spices to a third when I try a recipe. Pumpkin pie made that way is a different beast. I wonder whether the pumpkin haters actually are reacting to the over-spicing. I’m also curious where the trend toward really heavy spicing came from. It’s really pronounced not just in pumpkin pie, but also in apple pie, oatmeal raisin cookies, carrot cake, and so on. Maybe it started as a way of showing that you could afford all that spice, but it could also be the other way around and be a modern way of covering cheap base ingredients, as the tendency is most noticeable in cheap commercial baked goods.

Kabocha (japanese pumpkin) makes a great pie too.

The four you said, sometimes cloves too. All five are often not always present.

I have made chocolate chip pumpkin bread that was really good. The key is to use dark chocolate and go a little lighter on the spices than I would in a regular pumpkin bread. I also made chocolate swirl pumpkin pie. That was not so good.

I had something like this as well: dull, waxy tasting, the flavour entirely chemical. There was also this annoying cord melted into the middle of the confection. Its purpose is a mystery to me.

6 Likes

The Lindt chocolate company has a seasonal product sold in the US called Holiday Spice truffles that are chocolates with pumpkin pie spice flavoring. I bought some on a whim last year and they actually tasted better than I thought they would.

TheCandyEnthusiast.com has a detailed review of the product, as does TheJunkFoodGuy.com.

1 Like

Oh yeah… candied orange peel in dark chocolate is mos def the BOMB.

Military flail?

Something about the consistency throws me off - I really don’t like gritty parts in my chocolate. The taste is fantastic, though.

On a secondary note, I wonder if the Freia chocolate oranges we get here (Norway) are licensed from Terry’s or if it’s just a side effect of Kraft owning everything.

edit: Both Terry’s and Freia are owned by Mondelez (formerly the candy/snacks division of Kraft), so yeah.

Did they have to make it so bunghole shaped?

I think the art on the box has a bit of a Goatse feel to it.

As long as we’re hatin’ on some foods here, why not add some walnuts to those oatmeal raisin cookies to make them the trifecta of horrible, inedible nastiness? ::shivers::

As for the topic at hand…whomever among you enjoys pumpkin pie the most may have my lifetime alotment. Pumpkins are for the seeds obtained and roasted after carving at Halloween time. No other part of the beast is edible.

Starbucks’ pumpkin spiced latte is vile - I tried it once (just once, as in about 3 sips) and was transported back to the flavor of ballpark hotdog broth.

Remember that foods that are ‘pumpkin spice’ flavored don’t contain any flavor of pumpkin. It’s just a mix of cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg and allspice.

That said, I don’t think that spice blend mixes well with dark or milk chocolate. It would be fine with white chocolate, which could then easily be colored orange and probably make an overall better product in both appearance and flavor.

I love the pumpkin spiced latte at Starbucks. mmmmmm…can’t wait for fall.

Oh how I love oatmeal raisin cookies! But no, they shouldn’t have nuts of any kind. Save the bitter bitter black walnuts for your chocolate chip masterpieces.

Green & Black’s Maya Gold is pretty great.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.