Review—Star Wars: The Force Awakens (SPOILERS!)

Disappointed’s an odd choice of word; it’s a fucking movie!

And I think people are looking for things to be more complicated than they are.

1 Like

And maybe ‘The Force’ is actually their plague? And being forgotten is the best thing for them?

In fact, going back to Darth Plagueis…what if he didn’t die?

What if instead he’s the obviously scarred and damaged Snoke, and he’s looking for a new body?

Or what if he already made one… one that was so powerful that she could beat the well trained Kylo Ren at his own game only minutes after discovering her powers?

Maybe Rey=Snoke’s new shell.

Especially people who think that something MUST be a way because it is their pet theory.

2 Likes

Finally saw it. Liked it alot. Sort of still taking it all in. No real hard criticism other than the complete absurdity of the super weapon and the distances from sun to planet, and from the planet to the other planets they wish to destroy. and the fact they wouldn’t be all clumped up together like that. But Iguess that is nit picking. If you have no idea about space, I guess it works.

Overall though I liked the plot, and while some of the CGI was still too much, the universe just felt waayyy more real and lived in than the prequels.

6 Likes

So, basically I’m the only one that thinks that Rey and Finn might be siblings?

3 Likes

It is vastly unlikely. I mean, let’s go by skin tone and hollywood’s treatment of it.

3 Likes

They did specify that it was a “translight energy beam” (or some line to that effect) so at least they were acknowledging that anything restricted to our laws of physics would take years to hit its target. Besides, if Star Wars was remotely interested in presenting space in a realistic way then all those starfighter battles wouldn’t be nearly as noisy.

5 Likes

I guess I missed that. Yes Star War is fantasy, not sci-fi. But there is only so much my brain can forgive.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, in a recent interview (which, if I can find again, I’ll post a link), JJ Abrams was asked about the midi-chlorians. He sort of demurred, and stated that it wasn’t his job to retcon or undo things that’ve been established in George’s movies. But he said (and I paraphrase) that when he saw Star Wars as a kid, the thing he thought was cool about The Force is that it’s a mystical energy that binds the universe together, not a bacteria that’s hereditary, making the Force only available to people born into the right families. He made it pretty clear that there’d be zero mention of it in the new films.

Having said that, the Darth Plagueis theory is one I’m really curious about. Personally, I think Snoke could be the last remaining Sith (as in, the species, not the religion).

1 Like

“Space Peasant has drunk all the blue milk lately.”

3 Likes

I hope not. Looking forward to a possible romance between them in the future. (Finn’s obviously already smitten.) We don’t need another Luke-Leia style awkward kiss to remind us this is Star Wars. :wink:

4 Likes

5 Likes

Part of my justification is that they never have a real kiss throughout the film, making it less awkward than Luke/Leia.

1 Like

True. But overall… I would rather Finn (and Poe) actually be completely unrelated to the old characters. Open up the universe a bit.

If Rey is not Luke’s progeny, I will be very surprised.

Oh yeah, that’s what made the force awesome for me too, though the whole ‘midichlorians as a plague’ bit actually came from an attempt to make it possible to hear the word without screaming (and now a few of us are of the opinion that it’s cooler than the ‘mystical force’ if done right).

The thing is, he’s not even on for the next movie for certain, much less the third, and there’s at least one spinoff (Rogue One), so we’re still in a situation where a Canon issue could use a solution at some point.[quote=“nungesser, post:212, topic:70920”]
Having said that, the Darth Plagueis theory is one I’m really curious about. Personally, I think Snoke could be the last remaining Sith (as in, the species, not the religion).
[/quote]
Yeah, I think that’s a fun approach. I mean, Snoke sure looks bad and nobody had heard a thing about him up until recently…staying behind the scenes until Palpatine’s death would make a lot of sense for him in some scenarios. Plus that’d weave everything together neatly, otherwise he’s just some random new guy.

2 Likes

Just got back from seeing it a second time. I still think that ending with the off-brand LoTR style climb up the mountain was hokey and unnecessary but I guess they had to sandwich Mark Hamill in there somehow.

2 Likes

Feeling vulnerable here wading out into the fanboy/girl pond but I just wanted to say this:

As someone old enough to have seen Star Wars (not Episode IV: A New Hope. Star Wars) in the theater the summer it came out and having had it rock my little 9 year old world and become a seed of imagination from which who knows how many branches of my life have sprouted, and now as a parent of two young children (8 and 6) (and as a harsh critic of the consumerism and corporatism embodied by Disney, I have to say), I thought TFA was awesome. I pretty much agree with Mizejewski’s review and can’t really agree with too many of the nit-picky criticisms here in this thread. I didn’t mind the “reboot” aspects, I loved all the offhand references to the old movies, the humor was good and not over the top or silly, I loved the new characters, and I really like the ending. When Luke took his hood off, my son whispered, ‘He looks weird’. And I actually said, ‘He looks fantastic!’. It’s going to be so much fun being that 9 year old kid again.

11 Likes

A Hamill cheese sandwich, as it were.

Still, his name was the second one to appear in the credits and he didn’t even have ONE LINE?

2 Likes

With Poe! :heart::heart::heart:

5 Likes

Oh man that running brohug was something else wasn’t it? I half expected them to start making out afterward. Definite Rule 34 material here.

5 Likes