Review—Star Wars: The Force Awakens (SPOILERS!)

A bunch of minor characters are in the movie to set them up for later movies. Think Marvel Cinematic Universe. This applies to Phasma and Poe, to my knowledge. There is a “Rogue Squadron” movie already in the works.

4 Likes

I almost wished them to do it a bit faster, to evoke this:

4 Likes

And he kept hitting it to emphasize it!

3 Likes

The “Knights of Ren” is a group of some sort and “Kylo” is a taken name. I assume his birth name is “Ben Solo” or “Ben Solo-Organa” and he’s named after Obi-wan, who was a friend of his mother’s after all and a hero of the rebellion…

2 Likes

Well, strictly speaking, I’m not sure they ever met since she was a newborn infant. I think her appeal to him was based on his old friendship with her adoptive father, Bail Organa. (Almost typed Antilles there! Old school Donnie Petersen read the Marvel comics to tatters in the 70s.)

But it’d be cool if he occasionally went to Alderaan to visit during her childhood. (Those might have made for cool stories. The Adventures of Middle-Aged Obi-Wan!) Strange how she wasn’t kept in ignorance of his existence. Unless maybe Bail only brought him up to her because of it being their “most desperate hour.”

4 Likes

Hello and welcome to Boing Boing!

4 Likes

Bugged me a bit as well.

Mmmm, maybe watch it a second time and see what you think.

My gripes that haven’t been covered are:

“Really guys, another Death Star?”
“It’s not a Death Star! It’s a Starkiller! Totally a starkiller… And it’s, like, 60% larger now.”
“Jesus, did you at least plug the hole?”
“We TOTALLY plugged the hole with a bunch of armor. It will take several hand grenades to break through!”

Then there’s the all-too-convenient mastery of Force powers that Rey has. No practice, it’s all just latent and comes out when needed. That’s not even how it worked with Annakin, and definitely not Luke. A little too Deus Ex Machina for my taste.

But even after all this, I give it an A-/A. Much love and care went into it, and it’s fair to say it’s the Star Wars film people have been waiting 30 years for. It’s hard to discount the fanboy emotions you feel when the Falcon, and then Han and Chewy and the rest make an appearance, looking aged but right out of the previous film’s universe, pitch-perfect.

4 Likes

10 Likes

The film is called The Force Awakens. The Force has been shown to do weird stuff before, why can’t Rey be a latent (and incredibly powerful) Force sensitive who has the Force awaken in her thanks to the external stressors of being attacked by the First Order?

Once awakened, the rest flows normally out of her exceptional connection to the Force.

That’s a lot of uses of the word Force in there.

Force.

6 Likes

Still, yet again the son vs. the father. Lazy writing.

I can do better while drinking half a beer

EP VII: The bounty hunters still tracking down Han. IG-88 set up a masterful trap and Chewie sacrifices himself to save Han. Chewie dying in Han’s arms is the biggest tearjerker ever. We all suspected that Ford would not act in all 3 sequels, what with his dodgy piloting and all. Killing off Chewbacca would have been the bolder move.

EP VIII: Han is wrecked by Chewie’s death. He’s useless, less than half a man without his better half. He descends into abuse of the drugs he all too trafficked in. There will be no trite heroic revenge for Han, rather he slips away sadly and quietly and let’s Ford out of acting any more than he wants to. Still, Bossk and Dengar are looking for Han, and pose mini-boss threats to Rey and Finn - while their real enemy the once-struggling New Order gains more and more strength.

EP IX: In the hour of darkest need, Han makes a brief hologram appearance to bequeath his greatest weapon, his vesion of the lightsaber: The Millennium Falcon. Having it sit disused in a junkyard was once again lazy storytelling. Having the Falcon missing for 2 episodes, and then re-emegere long after Chewie (R.I.P. bro) and Han have left the battlefield would have been a true heart-thumping twist. Of course, when Rey first gets in the Falcon, she needs to say, “This ancient ship? It belongs in a museum.”

7 Likes

Come here and sign on the dotted line, m’boy! Have I got a development deal for you…

3 Likes

I’ll show him the life of the mind!

3 Likes

You realize that there is a strong base that think his “Star Trek” films aren’t really Star Trek but generic action science fiction movies with “Star Trek” written on them with crayons, right?

6 Likes

or mythic… It’s been a theme for over 2,000 years in things.

1 Like

4 Likes

Lol.

Much troll. Good show. Tipped your hand a few times, though.

Look forward to your other posts as other pseudonyms.

2 Likes

Force, force force.

I will eat my words on the topic if they make sense of it in the next installment.

But, similar treatment of Harry Potter never set right with me.

2 Likes

I thought it was perfect.

I imagined the story conference going something like this:

“We need a masked villain with a lightsaber for it to be Star Wars, but if we do that he’s gonna come off as a Vader wannabe.”

“Well, what if we actually made him a Vader wannabe? Like, he’s trying so hard to be all evil Sith lord, but he’s clearly out of his depth and struggling with his basic decency.”

I thought he was one of the most entertaining villains I’ve seen in a long time.

19 Likes

Yes. I thought this was one of the smartest parts of this excellent movie.

3 Likes

I enjoyed that he seemed very aware that he was only intimidating in the slightest as long as he kept his mask on. With the mask, he had a creepy voice and mystery about him. Once he took it off, he was a wimpy Josh Groban and lost all presence.

His tantrums were great. Vader’s habit of murdering people who disappointed him was probably legendary, but the First Order is a bit short on seasoned generals. So instead he takes out his frustrations on nearby walls or control panels, and from the reactions of his underlings, this is pretty commonplace. “Uhoh, the boss is raging, walk away…”

8 Likes