Reviving the GWB-era American Apology shirt for the Trump era

Funny name but I can’t take credit for it. Charlie Sheen referred to Trump as Captain Pussygrab at one point during the election and it cracked me up.

2 Likes

I am betting your map has more to do with poverty levels than anything. Most people can’t afford to travel out of the US, and if they do, they can only reach Mexico or Canada, which (unless it has changed) doesn’t require a passport.

3 Likes

Or, maybe its time to re-launch the 1972 classic T-Shirt by and for Massachusetts residents who voted for McGovern reading:

Don’t Blame Me, I’m From Massachusetts.

Now:

Don’t Blame Me, I’m with the Majority.

The variety of first person pronouns in Japanese isn’t age related in terms of grammar or word construction though.

I’m curious how much of people being ABLE to travel overseas financially is related to the first map. States like Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana have pretty grinding poverty. Let’s face it, being able to travel (whether within one’s own country or overseas) is a serious luxury that lots of people just can’t afford.

10 Likes

LOL. We are on the same page today, it seems.

1 Like

It doesn’t help that things like libraries and public educations that actually open children’s minds are constantly under attack as well.

But yeah, I think being able to travel can be a real eye opening experience. But if you can’t pay rent, a trip to Europe, even on a shoe string budget, is out of the question. Hell, even getting a passport isn’t exactly cheap. So yeah, all privileges that many people just can’t afford.

3 Likes

OH I agree that getting out and seeing people are basically the same is a good thing. Even in the US, we are one nation but we are a hodgepodge of cultures. You can learn a lot just going around the US.

But yeah, no money makes it hard to travel. Grand parents was as far as I got as a kid, and the most exotic was camping at a State Park in another state.

2 Likes

First and foremost, it shouldn’t be “извените” but “извините.”

1 Like

Come to think of it, this thread gives me an idea on how I can profit from the situation.

And when one and a half million more voters prefer one candidate over the other, which one wins?

Explain to me how voting for our President is supposed to work?

Everyone votes and then Ohio and Florida decide who is President.

1 Like

1 Like

More specifically, 18 people in Ohio and 29 people in Florida.

1 Like

Oh, boo. Charlie Sheen almost as bad as Trump.

1 Like

Indeed. We didn’t travel much when I was a kid either, because we couldn’t really afford it. Honestly traveling, just being in a new place, still makes me a little giddy. My families travels lately is mostly related to my dissertation work (archives and conferences), but it’s more than I ever got to travel as a kid. That being said, books (and PBS, actually) did help me have a much wider world view at a young age, I’d argue. I certainly didn’t take on the general low level racism of other working class whites in my community growing up. I was always quite the odd duck and outsider for that (among other things).

5 Likes

Yup, the Electoral College sucks, you’ll get no argument there. But it’s infinitely preferable to the unelected police state that is China. Yes, the Constitution broke down five times in the election of the President, but every other time the popular vote winner got the White House.

Look fella…I’m on your side, believe it or not. That’s why I support the National Popular Vote. 11 states have already signed up for this, including mine. Has yours? Basically it works like this…the winner of the national popular vote gets your state’s Electoral College votes (rather than just the winner of your state’s popular vote, which we have now). So, no need for a Constitutional amendment. States are totally free to allocate their electoral votes as they see fit.

Once the equivalent of 270 electoral votes sign on to this plan, it becomes law. We’re up to 110, by the way…

You in, or you out?

Er, what?

China?

Did I suggest you weren’t?

Yep.

I must have replied to the wrong thread. My bad. I was just saying in an earlier convo that as craptastic as the Electoral College is, it’s a sight better than Chinese dictatorship.

But right on, I’m glad your state has signed on. Good deal! Now spread the word to your friends in other states!

Yeah, my first time out of the country was when my partner got into grad school in Canada, at the age of 23. My first time out of North America, and second time out of the country, was when he got a job in the Netherlands, at the age of 33.

As a kid my world was the gulf coast, with a rare super magical trip to see my uncle and his partner in California.

On the way to Canada we passed through more states than I’d ever seen before. NOLA to Vancouver is a fun road trip.

It still feels crazy to me that now I’m someone who has been to Paris and Amsterdam.

3 Likes