RFID-shielded, ultra-strong duffels for carrying cash through dangerous territory

I would have thought that by being designated, obvious money bags, they would fail at the whole “security” thing unless you’re very heavily armed to begin with. Might as well print dollar signs on them and really let people know what’s up.

Seems to me that these bags don’t achieve anything that a large camping backpack lined with foil couldn’t do better…

2 Likes

I was going to quip something about the futility of trying to correlate the value of a luxury/status object’s raw materials with the final cost ($3000 handbags being made from not much more or much better cow hide than $300 ones, for instance).

But then I saw the picture. It’s a canvas sack. With velcro. For $720 I’d expect at least Goruck-level overengineering and macho “rugged” looks instead of something mom duct taped for me for the bank robbery.

Maybe all the money went into designing and researching the ‘holy grail’ combination of sackcraft and special canvas technology, which has eluded mankind for centuries. Or maybe it’s all marketing and profit, I’m not a sack expert.

I’ve previously been involved with a business that dealt in mostly cash (No, not that kind of business!)

When banking the takings it would be in a plain bag, with the cash in a couple of the big money bags the bank gave out. Lots of coins, so often very heavy.

1 Like

I’m totally aware of the non-correlation between materials cost and cost of the final goods- but, at least, in some of those cases you can point to the craftsmanship- or the cache- or something that “justifies” the cost.
Goruck is an interesting example: they use good materials, serious construction, and very careful design. They choose materials based on their application- so abrasion resistant codura where the bag is likely to see abrasions. Right?
These bags, on the other hand, seemed to have picked their material because it’s cool. Cuben Fiber was originally engineered for high-end sails. It’s water resistant, has no stretch, and is very, very light. It’s not, to the best of my knowledge, a especially good material for this bag. The bag doesn’t need to be super lightweight- that’s not a major advantage if it’s to be loaded with twenty pounds of money. I suppose the water resistance is good- but the lack of stretch offers no advantages either.
On the whole, it feels a bit like a titanium money clip- it’s only purpose it to be able to say it’s made of titanium. It ignores all the other properties of titanium that make it a useful choice. Or, if it doesn’t ignore them, it doesn’t (or can’t) take advantage of those things.
This stuff pisses me off because it’s (at best) faux engineering. It’s meant to look like “oh, we picked the best/newest/most expensive material because…” when really it’s just banking on buzzwords and fantasy.
At least someplace like Hermes doesn’t try to bullshit that stuff- they’re like “We use the best materials put together by the best craftsmen and it costs a ton. Done.”
rant over.

4 Likes

I have a titanium money clip. It’s attractive (nicely anodized), thin, strong, lightweight and doesn’t trigger metal detectors, so unlike this bag, my titanium money clip actually does make use of the advantageous properties of titanium.

It’s not the titanium money clips are bad, it’s that they can’t take full advantage of all of titanium’s properties. Indeed, stainless steel, in the application of a money clip, would perform nearly identically to titanium (given the criteria you list). So would carbon fiber, or any other number of materials.
So it’s not that it’s a “wrong” choice, it’s just that it’s not taking full advantage of the properties.
My titanium wedding band, for example- the low weight, high strength, cost, ease of refinishing, color, and hypo-allergenic properties all work to it’s advantage over some other choices I had.

Aside from the price points here, tatcicool aint always a bad thing.

I agree.
My backpack as a few rolls of PALS on it. I’m not immune to the lure of tacticool- but it falls apart for me when the utility of the things is compromised. For example:
My backpack has PALS on it because it’s one of the cleanest ways to be able to attach pouches in any sort of modular way. So, yes, it’s tacticool, but it’s also deeply functional.
These stupidly priced money bags? Tacticool in the worst of ways- because there’s no utility. It’s just a bag, and a hugely expensive one at that. It offers no additional utility over your average reusable grocery bag.
And I strongly suspect that anyone who actually needs to carry amounts of cash like this doesn’t use anything even remotely like these bags. Which makes these fantasy-wear.

1 Like

Agreed on the utility of PALS/MOLLE and the disulitity of the money bags. Looking over the site linked, the best thing there is the photography.

Yeah. I found it pretty strange that many of the “product” shots don’t actually have the product in them.
I found it strange until I realized that since this whole thing is fantasy anyway, they’re trying to sell you the fantasy, not the bag. Then, I suppose, it sort of makes sense.

Fantasy for sure in that were I to be delivering cash through dangerous territory, I’m pretty sure RFID shielding is the least thing I’d be concerned about and the durability of the bag also rather distant.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.