Rich Americans are embarrassed by Donald Trump

You mean…you’re not a temporarily embarrassed millionaire?

(Oh yeah now that I think about it, seems you’ve said you’re a little further North.)

1 Like

Won’t someone think of the poor rich people?

Well, actually they aren’t poor. By definition. So they can probably handle it.

2 Likes

Not to go all Godwin but the German Jews were doing pretty well financially as well.

Just to be clear I’m not trying to imply anyone is anti-Semitic or a NAZI, or you’re somehow trending towards fascism.

My point is that demonization of people because they’re part of a group is wrong, even if you think there’s a lot of people in that group doing terrible things. If you want to say there are certain subsets of rich people with terrible characteristics that’s fine. But it’s populist BS to imply that rich people in general are somehow bad people.

You’re up against Donald Trump and the Tea Party, you don’t need to surrender the moral high ground in order to show they’re wrong.

2 Likes

It does no one any favors to make those kinds of comparisons.

As a group, “rich people” will never, ever become a horribly oppressed minority in the United States or anywhere else. The reason is self-evident: if society ever made being “rich” more trouble than it was worth then people could simply choose to stop being rich by giving their excess wealth away.

8 Likes

Not everyone. He’s still wildly popular. Be sure to vote.

1 Like

I had something like that queued up in a reply, but you said it better than I did.

Yeah, if “rich people” find themselves suffering at the malevolent hands of the poors, the solution is beyond easy: Stop being rich. Turns out that on Kristallnacht, none of the Jewish business owners could just stop being Jewish.

6 Likes

My main point was that it’s not acceptable to demonize a group because you think they’re better off, not only because you’re wrong, but also because you’re normalizing stereotyping.

My second motive is there are a lot of people on the right who think left wing criticism of the wealthy veers into anti-Semitism (since there’s a lot of rich people who are Jewish). I think they’re wrong in the vast majority of circumstances. But they’re very sensitive and tend to read subtext into broad criticisms against rich people. If you can avoid creating that impression they you might as well do so.

This is a theme throughout the 8+ figure crowd. Large profits are not achieved by management ability, but through exclusive rights and structured contracts. He exposes this bullshit with his plasti-chrome and gold paint. He exposes their lie of meritocracy.

5 Likes

Rich people ARE better off than non-rich people. That’s why they’re called “rich people.”

5 Likes

Ariel atom v6, not the v8. And I could tow it to a track with my 1989 Nissan truck. That’s called win/win.

2 Likes

I came within a breath of entering the seven figures club, and lost. It. All. As in all. I am now seperated from my wife of two decades and sitting in a 70sq foot room (where i now live) with a blanket and two pillows. Well, I also have a few stuffed animals and a number of books.

We can take criticism.

P.s. to be honest I also have seaweed, wasabi, hot sauce, a few photos, and my phone.

7 Likes

It’s not for their feelings that I’m arguing against the stereotyping, it’s for the sake of our own integrity.

1 Like

I certainly won’t argue against that. And demonizing any group is usually just not effective. But solid criticism, like what I generally see on the BBS is healthy.

Just one froods opinion :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So they were okay with living or working in garish eyesores, but now that the developer of their tasteless digs is on an offend-a-quest, that’s a bridge too far?

3 Likes

I wouldn’t discount those negative stereotypes quite yet.

1 Like

Nicely done.

It appears I’ll have to get my manservant to “like” this for me.

9 Likes

special offer!

I’ll do it! Gonna get dressed, then I’ll have my manservant press this donut…uh…this orange through the monitor.

@OtherMichael! PANTS! NOW!

2 Likes

I fulfilled my part of the contract: I clicked “like” while saying “done in the name of wrecksdart” (weird, when doing this my colleague looked at me as if I’m crazy *shrug*)

1 Like