Ridley Scott blames youngins for box office bomb for a film I didn't know existed because Disney did a crap job promoting it

There were two duels in Hamilton. It, also, wasn’t about a duel.

Three actually. Forgot his son.

In Barry Lyndon one set him on his way as an adventurer, and one ended it. The story is about a social climbing adventurer.

2 Likes

Ha that was my first thought, I’d rather just rewatch this under appreciated excellent movie.

1 Like

I can’t find any financial information for The Duelists either, but I doubt that this is the first time that Scott has done poorly with a positively reviewed historical drama, and with no cell phones or millennials in sight. Gladiator did okay. 1492 was a flop. Robin Hood was supposedly the “highest grossing medieval film in recent memory” but was still considered disappointing.

1 Like

Yes it most definitely was. I mean, it wasn’t exclusively about the duel, but c’mon. The character who opens the show introduces himself as “the damn fool who shot him.”

3 Likes

I thought it was boring.

1 Like

I hadn’t really thought about that as a dueling movie but I guess it all came down to a one-on-one (plus tiger) fight that could definitely be considered a duel. Maybe it was the leather jockstrap that made the critical difference for box office success?

Edit: I was thinking of the wrong movie:

1 Like

Did your cell phone tell you that?

2 Likes

It doesn’t talk to me. Though I talk at it.

3 Likes

i mean i think that’s already the problem. i didn’t see duel, dual duel, nor even son of duel, so jumping right in to last duel… i didn’t think i would understand what was going on

( and for all this talk of cell phones, people don’t seem to like me using voice search to understand plot points midway through a movie :man_shrugging: )

2 Likes

“their advertising, publicity, et cetera, was excellent”

Where did they advertise? Business section of the newspaper?

They should have advertised on my cell phone. I might have actually heard about it :wink:

1 Like

I know he directed House Of Gucci because MGM is actually promoting the hell out of it haha

2 Likes

I’ve head quite a bit about this film Didn’t actually see it because Covid (and if I had gotten off my butt to go to the theater, “No time to Die” and “Dune” would have been better choices). Hell, “The green knight” was more intriguing.

1 Like

I’m a sucker for knights and such and there was just no way I was seeing this unless it was streaming. Maybe most movies need to do that now. Not everything needs to be imax, particularly during a plague in which I’ve given very serious consideration to donning an only slightly period inappropriate plague doctor mask.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.