Ridley Scott's "Napoleon" gets a full-length trailer

Originally published at: Ridley Scott's "Napoleon" gets a full-length trailer | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Bored Episode 15 GIF by The Simpsons

7 Likes

yeah but at least he didn’t go with a bad French accent.

8 Likes

Well I wonder if they’ll have the dance scene in this remake as well…

:nerd_face:

9 Likes

rather shocked to hear Black Sabbath used for this. i mean, i get the angle, but… it just seems so wrong. aside from that, this looks amazing.

4 Likes

Given Scott’s track record, though, it’s hard to imagine this won’t end up being a historical epic discussed in the same breath as Oppenheimer for years to come.

Yeah, well, his last historic film did shit at the box office, to the point Ridley was blaming “Millennials obsession with their phones” for it flopping. No, really, he said that.

Maybe he should stick to SFF instead, he seems to get upset if his historical dramas don’t do well, and frankly… it’s Napoleon, who has been done to death. At least Oppenheimer gave us a biopic about someone we didn’t have several dozen previous ones covering.

4 Likes

More Great Man propaganda?

1 Like

I don’t know if I’ve ever watched a film about Napoleon! Not that I’m dying to or anything. I don’t really know much about the complicated alliances and stuff of the era. I’m sure it will be fine to watch on the telly when it comes out like epic stuff often is.
I saw his last film on streaming and it was pretty meh to me.

I suppose I’m saying why? Why now? Do people really care?

1 Like

Phoenix is miscast in this role. I’ll be amazed if it works.

IMG_0768

4 Likes

It would have made more sense a decade or so ago when various Napoleonic battles were reaching their 200th anniversaries. Now just seems weird.

3 Likes

Exactly

1 Like

Not even the one about his fledgling bowling career?

12 Likes

I dunno’ “The Duelists” is among my favs.

2 Likes

I’d rather not have the accent if the acting is good. Because if the movie was to be truly accurate it’d be fully in French, which i would be totally game for but doubt that it’d ever get made that way because Hollywood

8 Likes

Alright snarkmeister, I’ll bite.

3 Likes

To add to my previous post on accuracy, i guess the real question is: Did Napoleon speak French? Yes, but it wasn’t his first language:

Like many Corsicans, Napoleon spoke and read Corsican (as his mother tongue) and Italian (as the official language of Corsica). He began learning French in school at the age of around 10 . Although he became fluent in French, he spoke with a distinctive Corsican accent and never learned to spell in French.

Source

Learned something new today.

13 Likes

Short man?

http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=320

4 Likes

I love the comic of the girl on the bike so hard…

5 Likes
2 Likes