Trailer for Ridley Scott's Napoleon

4 Likes

60-ish? Heā€™s 48.

11 Likes

Wait, wait, wait - Scott made Kubrickā€™s Napoleon?

6 Likes

Itā€™s either going to be good or absolutely awful. You donā€™t get middling with Ridley.

10 Likes

What sometimes happens with Ridley is that he tosses off a crappy 2-hour cut for the theaters and then a much better 3-hour movie for home release.

11 Likes

Everyone knows ā€œishā€ means +/- 12 years. /s

5 Likes

Yeah itā€™s not such a stretch by Hollywood standards; Ed Harris was already at least a couple years older than Jackson Pollock was at Pollockā€™s time of death when Harris made that biopic in 2000 but still did an amazing job. And that was before digital de-aging was a thing.

7 Likes

Even as a kid seeing Joaquin in Gladiator, I thought that guy could act. Just going to see him in a similar megalomaniacal role would be worth it even if the movie turns out to be like House of Gucci.

7 Likes

Is this the film that will earn Scott an ā€œOscarā€ at last?

• Yes
  • No
  • Another nomination, but no.

0 voters

1 Like

Ridley Scottā€™s background is set design and he makes movies look great. Whether they are also watchable depends on the writers and actors.

10 Likes

Yeah, I still felt 36 at 48. Iā€™ll be 60 a little over a month and I finally feel my age.

7 Likes

Ustinov recalled how he was cast as Nero in 1949: "An exciting proposition came my way when I was 28 years old. MGM were going to remake Quo Vadis , and I was a candidate for the role of Nero. Arthur Hornblow [Jr] was to be the producer, and I was tested by [the director] John Huston. I threw everything I knew into this test, and to my surprise, John Huston did little to restrain me, encouraging me in confidential whispers to be even madder. Apparently the test was a success, but then the huge machine came to a halt, and the project was postponed for a year. At the end of the year, the producer was Sam Zimbalist and the director Mervyn LeRoy. They also approved my test, but warned me in a wire that I might be found to be a little young for the part. I cabled back that if they postponed again, I might be too old, since Nero died at 31. A second cable from them read ā€˜Historical Research Has Proved You Correct Stop The Part Is Yoursā€™.

24 Likes

He still hits more than he misses, but Robin Hood was one of the worst films Iā€™ve ever seen. I will always be a little gun-shy.

5 Likes

Itā€™s fixed now to 50-ish, but Iā€™m going to be 48 in 19 days and I was all, Iā€™m not 60-ish!

5 Likes

Spielberg is doing that. A 7-part series for HBO.

6 Likes

To be fair, I look at pictures taken, say, before 1968, Iā€™m usually confused if the age of the person depicted is given.

Apparently there is an inverse relationship between time passed since the photo was taken and the perceived age of the person depicted. Even toddlers look like old farts in pictures pre-1900.

Honestly: pic a photo from, say, the 1930s and guess the age of the person in the picture.

5 Likes

Iā€™m sure it will be fineā€¦ Iā€™m not sure Iā€™m super interested in glorifying bloody dictators known for conquest, thoughā€¦

Bored Episode 15 GIF by The Simpsons

8 Likes

Getting sidetracked here, but Iā€™d like to know more about Canuteā€™s psychopathic English wife, whose Wikipedia page doesnā€™t include much overt psychopathy.

2 Likes

:thinking:

4 Likes

I feelā€¦ soā€¦ oldā€¦ :sob:

At least Robin Hood had the Sheriff of Nottingham.

16 Likes