Right-wing troll Jacob Wohl finally charged with a felony

Au contraire, mon frere!! The fun has only started.

2 Likes

I guess that brings up the question of later “hitler” jokes, and where do you draw the line? What about the Producers or the new film Jojo Rabbit, or the film from a couple of years ago, Look Who’s Back.

Of course then right wing assholes who get caught in nazi cosplay then try to pass it off as a joke, so there’s that.

It’s a minefield! I don’t want to say that these cretins can’t be laughed at, but where do we draw the line, considering that we can’t predict the future. I don’t know if we knew back in 2016 what we know now about Trump as president, if we would have laughed him off as a joke, which some did.

11 Likes

Did anyone try calling him at his mom’s?

13 Likes

“Chasing tail”?! Good to know women were not people to u and instead were sexual objects to be acquired, conquered and then discarded.

7 Likes

Two hours of postings and no one’s posted this gem? Y’all are slipping! :slight_smile:

26 Likes

Someone’s going to be smuggling in a cell phone and be the next big prison influencer.

8 Likes

“Conquered”, if only.

3 Likes

This is the key phrase. It took me a long time to understand this, but some people view existence as a zero sum game. They can only be happy by creating misery for others. They draw strength and energy from the harm that they cause to others. They can’t experience joy, but rather draw their sustenance from the most negative of emotions. It’s sad, but it’s true.

13 Likes

“He’s a nasty son of a bastard and, all things considered, no joke.”

Funny. My first thought looking at those photos was to think, “Hey, that must be the back deck of his parent’s house”. Those pics man. I knew kids with rich parents, who were assholes. That is what their kids looked like, and that is what their back decks looked like.

14 Likes

If you are going to do illegal things it isn’t that hard to not have a very vocal public facing antagonistic persona, right? Like this should be basic.

1 Like

My standard theory goes that a lot of them are nerds of various stripes who never got over being despised for their arrogant superiority complex in high school by the “cool kids”. As a result, they decided to spend their lives taking revenge on anyone who (per @llamaspit above) appears content and happy with their life or any organisation that tries to make more people happy.

They’re most often white and cis-het males, of course, usually from the families in the economic top 20%. They also tend to be big Ayn Rand fans and are often veterans of the HS debate-club circuit. Examples include Newt Gingrich, Ted Cruz, Stephen Miller, Ben Shapiro, Tucker Carlson, Wohl, and (locally speaking) your typical Libertarian BBS sea lion.

10 Likes

Yeah, if that’s all they nail him for, he’ll be getting off light.

I bet he’s a proud boy now.

10 Likes

1540722387_4-%D1%8B%D0%B9

11 Likes

Yes, how do these dudes live with themselves? At 21, I was scraping to make ends meet and looking for something to pour myself into. I was into art and music and weed, sex and beer. Everything else was not in my worldview. Even politics was an afterthought. Hate? Hating people for how they were different? Please. I didn’t start hating anyone until I had a 45 minute commute. I guess I’m an out of touch old fogey, but I really don’t understand somma dese yoots.

10 Likes

Good question. It’s a fraught topic. Where’s the sweet spot between hand-ringingly melodramatic and “boys will be boys” laughing off atrocities…I don’t know much about it, but I think there might be lessons to learn from the whole “court jester” phenomenon? Using humor to effectively speak truth to power (or to those around the power).

2 Likes

You would think, but Wohl sees Trump doing it and making/stealing money.

2 Likes

Me too but I had a class mate at high school who was totally into right wing politics.

1 Like

I don’t blame anyone who laughed at Trump in 2016 for putting him in office. I blame the people who took him seriously enough to vote for him.

7 Likes

Maybe I don’t understand how libel laws work, but I’m a little confused as to how this is the first thing he’s done that can be considered a felony.

It says something about our collective priorities that Wohl’s spreading of divisive lies, preying on the naive and gullible, will go unpunished.

He’s only in trouble because he stole money from well-off people.

8 Likes