RIP Jack Chick, father of the Satanic Panic

This one’s a little hard to take seriously.

26 Likes

Some house around me used to give Chick Tracts out to Trick or Treaters on Halloween. I don’t remember who it was but what an awful person.

19 Likes

Satanic panic is the radist kind of panic.

11 Likes

No worries from me. I think that people tell each other stories, including heaven and hell ones, for plenty of reasons. Keep us in line. Comfort in grief. Contextualize arcane rules. So many stories. So many reasons.

10 Likes

He probably had a heart attack watching Dark Dungeons.

7 Likes

Hey! I found a copy of that ‘intense occult training’ booklet on the floor of the changing room at the YMCA when I was about 10 years old. It didn’t occur to me until just now that ‘cold tile floor frequented by young men in underpants’ was probably the exact target setting for Chick’s publications.

I was already playing quite a bit of D&D at the time, but the tract /did/ make the game seem a little bit cooler.

22 Likes

Jack Chick was the Garry Trudeau of assholes. Nobody doesn’t get it like Jack Chick didn’t get it.

17 Likes

Every Chick tract I’ve ever picked up read like a case study in projection. That would make them useful if there weren’t people out there who take them seriously.

15 Likes

I got this:

8 Likes

I played D&D, listened to metal, watched all the bad movies, smoked, drank, consorted with liberals and Catholics and Mormons and Wiccans. Nothing, Nada. No worldly power, no wealth to corrupt me, never even got invited to any cool rituals.

Lies, Jack Chick. Lies and Disappointment.

35 Likes

Some ten years ago, I came across a very thoughtful article about Chick – how he went to great efforts to lead an extremely private life, and by some reckonings is actually the world’s most published author.

I’ve never been able to find that article again, though. Presumably the publication dropped off the face of the Internet, and it might still be lurking in archive.org, waiting for someone to plug in the right URL. Any ideas?

ETA: Maybe it was from The Independent, July 6, 2003, as cited on Wikipedia? Guess I’ll need to visit the library to find out, as their archives don’t seem to be publicly accessible.

5 Likes

He ruined so many people’s lives thanks to the satanic panic bullshit.

And so many Dungeons and Dragons campaigns! Think of all the teenagers that never got to spend their XP!

11 Likes

AT LAST, my collection of vintage jack chick tracts will rise in value!

15 Likes

Not really, as it actually ruined lives, for example:

In the abstract, it’s a funny thing. In reality, kind of not.

31 Likes

Not to mention all those families destroyed by the Satanic Child Abuse Witch Hunt in Kern County back in the 80s.

23 Likes

When I was ten or so, my eldest brother George (the religious one) gave me a half-dozen issues of The Crusaders to read. That was the series where you had two pretty buff Christian dudes traveling the country and fighting Satanism.

There was one issue about evolution wherein they try to convert the director of a natural history museum by pointing out instances where dinosaur footprints and human footprints were found side-by-side in a fossilized riverbed, and how carbon-dating once dated a living fossil to be some ten thousand years old, and a few other “scientific finds” that they claimed effectively debunked evolution. (That issue even cited Louis and Mary Leakey, IIRC.)

There was a great issue about Satanic cults that kidnap teenage hitchhikers in groovy vans and sacrifice them to Lucifer.

There was an issue about them converting an Israeli cabdriver that involved an assassination attempt with a small scorpion. And there was a fair amount of unintentional homoeroticism with our heavily muscled Christian heroes waking up shirtless in bed and taking showers and stuff.

Oh, and the most entertaining treatment of The Rapture was to be found in The Crusaders as well. Wish I could find those comics.

Chick was a hateful, useless old fuck, but I love his comics the same way I love the Louvin Brothers’ “Great Atomic Power.” So very, very hard to take seriously.

16 Likes

You misspelled the acronym for Rot In Hell.

6 Likes

“Retire in Pacoima”? Close enough?

9 Likes

I’m no biblical scholar but I’m pretty sure the book of Leviticus doesn’t actually make any specific mention of Stewie Griffin.

19 Likes

You gotta read it in the original KJV.

16 Likes