RIP Jack Chick, father of the Satanic Panic

19 Likes

NO, NOT BLACK LEAF NO NO!

(stupid BBS ruining my pithy replies with "body is invalid)

8 Likes

Unfortunately checking both ProQuest and Gale General I’m finding there never was a July 6, 2003 issue of The Independent so that may be a typo. However the citation for Los Angeles Magazine does seem to be the article you’re describing.

I’m not a real librarian. I just work for one.

9 Likes

Agreed. I’m sure there are lots of cases where false allegations of “satanic activity” ruined lives.

I do know that there is someone working on this as a dissertation project over at UGA so hopefully, there will be a book out on that at some point in the future.

10 Likes

WHY DOES IT SAY THAT? 

6 Likes

I always figured it was trying to fat-shame me, but then I lost a lot of weight, and it’s still doing it.

11 Likes

No doubt. I thank my parents for raising me in Southern California, where false allegations of “satanic activity” didn’t even ruin, but rather enlivened, my afternoon.

7 Likes

Probably much different from when my husband as a young man got yelled at by some little old lady when he and his friends were playing D&D in a McDonalds… Ah, the 80s…

10 Likes

And looking at the cover of that Primal Man issue, I gotta say, his artist Fred Carter was a hell of a talent.

6 Likes

A pathetic, small-minded, fool. The great irony is, being dead, his no-longer-functioning brain (not that it functioned much in the first place) cannot realize that there’s no afterlife. He should feel lucky; it’s the only way he avoided his imaginary hell.

5 Likes

Jack Chick and Madalyn Murray O’Hair Fistfight in…well…somewhere

9 Likes

Well, you aren’t dead yet. According to Chick tracts, the big finale is still to come! Though come to think of it, as I understand the Theology of Chick, as long as you accept Jesus Christ as your personal savior, works (good or bad) don’t mean fuck-all. … Is it OK if I say “fuck-all” here?

8 Likes

http://godhatesdinosaurs.org/ That is all

10 Likes

On the plus side, if everything he believed was true he’ll be treated to a first-hand experience of the fiery Hell to which he condemned so many others.

[ETA: looks like this is a common sentiment in the comments, but I’m going to leave it up anyhow as fitting tribute to the hateful old fearmonger.]

4 Likes

15 Likes

Cursing’s fine, cursing at other forum participants is not.

10 Likes

As the boingboing link no longer works, I asked Google to supply me with one. Here ya go!

3 Likes

Ahh, yes, that’s the one. Thank you so much. An appropriate time to put that little mystery to rest.

Makes me wonder if that “film version of the Bible” ever saw the light of day, or ever will.

EDIT: Of course it did.

2 Likes

I hope he burns in Hell just because of people who leave those as tips instead of something useful like money.

11 Likes

It’s also hard to believe he wasn’t aware of gays on TV 50 years ago.

12 Likes