RIP: LA consumer defender David Horowitz, 81

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/19/rip-la-consumer-defender-davi.html

2 Likes

I loved how the monster hand would come out of the filing cabinet to give him a letter to read.

6 Likes

It is unnecessary to discuss his shared name with a bag of douche. David Horowitz, the consumer advocate, deserves better.

5 Likes

God that linked site in the op is brutally awful on mobile.

On topic, I remember seeing his show out here on the east coast in the 70s. Usually as filler on Saturday afternoon when there wasn’t enough sports programming.

1 Like

I liked the dumb gags he’d include from time to time. Like when he was testing a can of aerosol spray for cleaning cars and the instructions said “shake well” but didn’t specify whether you were supposed to shake the can or the car, so he put the car on some kind of industrial hydraulic platform to shake both “just in case.”

8 Likes

At 0:12, somebody is playing Car Wars.

6 Likes

Once David Horowitz was on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson and played a clip from his show. He had re-enacted a commercial where a plastic trashcan was dropped from a helicopter (to prove the can’s strength).

After watching the can plummet to the ground, Peter Falk leans over and asks, “Are those cans large enough to hold a body?”

7 Likes

That was absolutely adorable. :slight_smile:

1 Like

He was a national treasure. I always enjoyed watching his show when it was on.

5 Likes

RIP, Mr. Horowitz. I was just a kid, but I loved your show.

4 Likes

Horowitz was a TV fixture for anyone living in SoCal during the 1980s. An uncompromising consumer advocate, a thoroughgoing skeptic, and a fine journalist who managed to balance his gravitas with a sense of humour. He’ll be missed. Condolences to his family.

3 Likes

It was FIGHT BACK! with David Horowtiz. Not merely “Fight Back.” The exclamation point was part of the name, not merely modifying it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.