Robert Mueller will testify before Congress on July 17

I see the TGOP is clutching their pearls and reaching for the fainting sofa, again…

1 Like

Everyone says that about anything anyone does.

4 Likes

Yep. And the longer they keep it up, the longer it’s going to take to repair the damage.

1 Like

I don’t expect anything new to come of this. Mueller has already said “the report was my testimony”, it’s unlikely there will be any bombshells, maybe, just maybe, he will express his opinion that Barr and the GOP are mischaracterizing the report.

4 Likes

That’s certainly a legitimate concern, but here’s the thing; testifying in front of Congress comes with legal requirements. Nobody could tell Meuller what to put in his report. Nobody could ask him to write another report. But when he steps in front of Congress he is obligated to answer their questions, unless he has a legal basis for refusing to answer. Refusal could lead to contempt charges, and that’s not something I see Meuller wanting. Sure not everything is going to come out (he will have legitimate reasons for not answering some questions) but unlike @gracchus I think he actually wants to talk. And he’s smart enough to find a way to do that.

5 Likes

But, he’s going to say it on video. Video that will be reported and played directly on TV and Twitter.

That may be enough. It will certainly be more compelling than the others that have read it on video trying to accomplish the same thing.

It’s sad that it needs to be in video format in addition to written, but it’s apparently where we are today.

11 Likes

If he wants to talk, literally nothing has ever stopped him. He could say nearly anything he wanted to with regard to his investigation for several years now, and certainly since he finally released the report. I take that as clear evidence that he doesn’t want to speak out at all.

2 Likes

I disagree. I think Meuller is a rule-follower. He’s not the sort to talk unless asked. And he doesn’t want to answer unless compelled to do so. It helps him avoid the appearance of impropriety, which shields him (somewhat) from criticism that he’s political. He’s not going out like Comey.

3 Likes

3 Likes

He’s willing to speak, just in code. It’s something of a game for attorneys. It’s questions like the one @wil9000 suggests above that will give him the room to say something while not explicitly saying it.

3 Likes

Rudy “Who Cares” Giuliani. Such a diplomat.

This. He’s a cop and a marine. Both are drilled to follow rules and procedures.

2 Likes

I disagree. I think that @waetherman has it right above: He wants to be legally forced to testify so that it isn’t HIM who ‘politicizes’ his investigation.

He’s sticking to his principles here. Now we can definitely ask the question: Is sticking by your principles the right choice here? And i personally would say no. Firstly, i consider his choice to put his personal principles above the health of our country to be selfish*.

Secondly, the idea that one can ‘politicize’ something needs to end soon. Just about every decision that any non-hermit makes is a partially political decision because to live in a society is to live politically, i.e. letting the opinions and behaviors of your neighbors to affect your decisions. Admittedly, there are differing degrees of ‘political’, but this particular investigation was always going to be peak ‘political’.

* “A man does what he must—in spite of personal consequences, in spite of obstacles and dangers and pressures—and that is the basis of all human morality”
John F. Kennedy
Or as i like to put it: Do what you must and then face the consequences.

6 Likes

This might get some more good sound bites condemning Trump, but I don’t think anything new will happen. He laid it all out in his report and in his short public statement as to what he had. It is in the court of the House and Senate to move to impeach, because otherwise, he is going to stay in office.

It will make no difference either way. Everyone abhorred at the Muller report will still be aghast. Everyone ignorant of the Muller report will still be grazing and peaceful. Everyone calling the Muller report a witch hunt by the deep state will just continue to deride Muller.

2 Likes

This is where I saw it.

Been watching all these hearings. Doug Collins is the biggest douche. You can almost read in his face that it’s a game to him. Like he doesn’t really even believe the shit he’s saying.

2 Likes

I frequently get that impression with Republicans these days.

1 Like

Aha. That’s not Mueller, that’s his staff. The counter-inteligence stuff Mueller was investigating wasn’t part of the report and hasn’t been publcized, so I expect that’s what they’ll be testifying about.

this sounds so much like a threat.

2 Likes

Probably because I’ve been feeling threatened lately. Trump is on track to win another 4 years because the Democrats are so poorly organized and are putting forward candidates that don’t appeal to me at all.