Roger Ailes dead at 77

I’m wondering about this as well. It says at the end of the article on the WaPo that he left a box for his son with a bunch of trinkets/some cash/etc. It sounds like a suicide to me but I can’t find any info. It says they did not provide any info about the circumstances of his death but no one is suggesting suicide. Just the carefully laid out treasures for his sons sounds so suicidal.

11 Likes

“I did not attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.”

-Mark Twain

41 Likes

Damn. There is a dark stinky story there somewhere. Kellyanne might be pulling Trumps strings more than we know or at the very least a surrogate puppet master.

And Coors has been busy in Russia. Coincidence?

7 Likes

By all accounts, he was a terrible person, and his work at Fox News certainly has made the US and the world a worse, more hateful and less informed place.

Good riddance.

18 Likes

His other son Scott Coors is the only bright spot in the family. Gay, out, and a really smart and forward-thinking guy. Of course, he is on the outs with most of his family.

16 Likes

All men have an emotion to kill; when they strongly dislike some one they involuntarily wish he was dead. I have never killed any one, but I have read some obituary notices with great satisfaction.

Clarence Darrow

20 Likes

Or course, sounds like he is an actual human being.

2 Likes

Harry Cohn, head of Columbia Pictures and one of the most reviled men in Hollywood, had a big crowd at his funeral. When a person expressed puzzlement over so many people showing up at the memorial for such a hated figure, a comedian (some say it was Red Skelton) responded: “It’s like Harry always said: give the people what they want and they’ll turn out for it!”

19 Likes

She isn’t a working director, just a member of the clubhouse. I wish Form 990s were in machine-readable format to allow building an alt-republican-money connection diagram on the cheap. They’re filed electronically, so why not? (House/Senate lobbyist disclosures are in XML now, hooraw!)

6 Likes

For better or worse, Ailes was one of the most influential men in American politics for the last 50 years.

4 Likes

Stop calling people like this “disgraced.” “Disgraced” is when you are standing in front of a crowd and someone pulls your pants down. “Disgraced” is when you are doing something perfectly normal, yet embarrassing, and someone exposed it to the world. “Disgraced” is something someone else does TO you. It is NOT when you finally get caught doing really bad stuff to other people.

Bernie Madoff is not “a disgraced financier.” He is a con artist who you caught. Roger Ailes was NOT a disgraced publicist. He was a lying, shitbag, serial sexual harasser, who got rich by working to destroy anything good that anyone tried to do in this country. So, put that in your headline.

36 Likes

How about “disgraceful”?

19 Likes

The universe does so love adding bitter to the sweet.

I’m not going to rejoice in the death of an old man, but the world is a better place for Ailes passing.

13 Likes

I should have checked my own news archive first:

The Reclusive Hedge-Fund Tycoon Behind the Trump Presidency March 17, 2017, Jane Mayer, New Yorker

The Mercers also joined the Council for National Policy, which the Times has described as a “little-known club of a few hundred of the most powerful conservatives in the country.” The Mercers have contributed hundreds of thousands of dollars. The group swears participants to secrecy. But a leaked 2014 roster revealed that it included many people who promoted anti-Clinton conspiracy stories, including Joseph Farah, the editor of WorldNetDaily. The group also brought the Mercers into the orbit of two people who have become key figures in the Trump White House: Kellyanne Conway, who was on the group’s executive committee, and Steve Bannon.

The place is like an alt-right Ashley Madison.

8 Likes

Dang, that rocks. Can I screen cap that and tweet it?

4 Likes

Chris Hayes at MSNBC reported that he died from complications of hemophilia after suffering a fall in his home.

2 Likes

(Not completely apt, but it does have a pleasant dancing-on-grave scene.)

2 Likes
14 Likes

I was going to quote Sir Walter Scott, but Ailes isn’t even worth the effort, so:

13 Likes

The only thing I have to say is I’m glad he had to answer publicly for at least some of his evil ways, and was forced out at Fox before he died.

18 Likes