Roger Stone utters racial slur in interview

That’s why it’s sometimes appropriate to cut a little extra slack for time-travelers, people who have been in cryogenic stasis for half a century or more, and alien reconstructions of long-dead Presidents.

20 Likes

How about we stop calling anyone anything based on their melatonin content? No black. No hispanic. No Asian (although that could just mean you were born in Asia). We all came from the same monkeys if you go back far enough.

It always pisses me off (most recently on the census) when I’m asked if I’m a non-hispanic white. What the hell does that even mean? I’m pinkish orange (and not nearly 45 orange) so have a box for that if you’re going to have a box for black. Oh, and black people aren’t black in the sense of the color.

EDIT: as pointed out, this statement came off as an “All lives matter” remark. I hate the “All lives matter” movement because it’s equating the struggle of people who appear pinkish-orange with those who are less-pinkish-orange which is not acceptable. Black and brown lives matter movements I fully support because they’ve been getting a bum deal for centuries and us pinkish-orange people need to make up for it.

Probably because it ties in with the “I don’t see color” mantra, which is as harmful as “All lives matter”. We’re striving for equity, not equality, per se.

19 Likes

Race may be a social construct, but pretending that construct doesn’t exist is a non-solution for dealing with bigotry.

28 Likes

Good point. I believe you are correct that my statement came off as “All lives matter”. We do need equity, and more social programs like affirmative action and reparations.

14 Likes

The GOP convention’s gonna be wall-to-wall slurs, swastikas, and coughing this year.

16 Likes

Exactly, it’s just the modern version of a klan rally.

9 Likes

Then we better be careful. The digital news media might run out of pixels!/s

3 Likes

The danger is having to see Roger Stone’s bizarro scary mug every day from here to eternity, causing irreparable harm to the populace.

Someone should build a browser plug-in that hides his image.

1 Like

Because you didn’t have to, because it doesn’t impact you directly. That’s privilege.

How about BOTH?

15 Likes

I think we can all agree that — given all that has happened… having put himself far, far “out there” — Roger Stone is fair game for reportage as to his politics and attitudes… especially when his ‘celebrity’ is of the odious variety. So, I’m curious as to where the line for such reportage should be drawn, because I have no issue with Stone’s latest words being disclosed and examined.

3 Likes

I kind of think it’s actually platforming him. He wants nothing other than attention, and this gives it to him. Without it he might shrivel up and die, or so we can hope. But I think he’ll keep saying worse and worse things to get more coverage and—more importantly—stir up outrage.

Well, yeah! I always thought equity was inclusive of equality, as it considers there is a set that is not being treated justly and fairly, so some “extra” is needed to put everyone on equal ground?

8 Likes

The way it’s always been explained to me is “equity” means giving those who need it enough help where it’s needed to put everyone on equal footing.

So “1 person, 1 vote” is an example of equality, “affirmative action programs designed to help historically marginalized populations” is an example of equity.

14 Likes

I wish we had a setting to give 10 :heart: for a like… call it a weekly Boing Boing supernova of love for a post. I didn’t quite know why I didn’t like what Stone had said - it took your words to shine a light on him even brighter: “he is still a racist for dismissing the interviewer as a POC, and therefore not worthy of his time.”

thank you

4 Likes

27 Likes

That episode was just on last night.

It’s an archaic term that pretty much only in use when talking about archaic organizations, or ones that have been around since back when it was the preferred term. Like the UNCF and the Negro League Baseball Museum near 18th and Vine.

When someone like Stone uses it that way, you know exactly what he means.

3 Likes

13 Likes

I’d think he’d want to maintain a very low profile, given how things could go in November:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/roger-stone-can-be-tried-again/ar-BB16J2wZ

10 Likes

I’d like to know how to get the OK sign back. Do I have to beat everyone of this shitweasels senseless?

1 Like