Roger Stone utters racial slur in interview

On topic:

It’s not surprising that RS said something bigoted.

15 Likes

I once talked to an older British gentleman and he told me that when he was a boy in the UK, “black” was a terrible thing to say and “negro” was the accepted term for everyone. He said he still had a problem saying “black” because to him, it was an offensive word.

That said, Stone just creeps me out.

2 Likes

Ah, I know the answer to this… In the San Francisco Bay Area, “Negro” faded out in the Black community roughly by 1965… Think Nina Simone singing “To Be Young, Gifted and Black” by 1969. The New York times dropped it from their style manual in 1976 for “Black” though if someone had called me “Negro” post 1968, I would have corrected them. People say that it was the polite term then but they never asked Black people if it was polite.

11 Likes

Pretending there is no such things as colour helps nobody.

FTFY.

And other characters.

1 Like

Please correct the quote. NBC got it right and boingboing didn’t add much to the content of the NBC piece other than to introduce an error into the quote.

No, the Klan would at least be wearing a mask. The modern GOP is all of the hate with none of the shame or source control.

4 Likes

LOL true, you’d think that. But Stone is one of those weirdos for whom logic and reason take a back seat to his own narcissistic fantasies. Kind of like Trump.

2 Likes

Is Stone that old that he still thinks “negro” is an acceptable word? [ETA: /s]

I really really hope someone leaks the purported tape of Trump dropping n-bombs on the set of The Apprentice, and referring to Lil Jon as “Uncle Tom.”

1 Like

If you’re right, we’re talking about the potential of a Biden-win DOJ playing whack-a-mole with Stone. Let the next interesting news cycle begin.

Absolutely. Once we solve the problem of white privilege first. But asking that question is a form of white privilege so… :thinking:

Fair question. Are you a native Spanish speaker? Did you grow up immersed in Latin American culture? If the answer to both these questions is “no”, then you are not Hispanic. If your answer is “well, we ate tacos” then the answer is hell no.

Yeah no you’re not Hispanic. You’re not anything except American. So enjoy a jar of mayonnaise, the national drink of my people.

11 Likes

4 Likes

Assume for the sake of argument that he is that old.

The exact word is not the issue, the issue is that he used a racial term in this context, showing that he is racist. If he had said, sotto voce, “I don’t really feel like arguing with this dim-bulb,” it would merely be insulting but not racist.

2 Likes

Is it weird that this is getting more coverage than the fact that he conspired with the Wikileaks to get information stolen by the Russian government to elect the currently designated president with his full knowledge and that said designee consequently commuted his sentence? I mean the man is racist but that doesn’t fundamentally undermine our democracy.

1 Like

The Maskless Klan or the Flu Klux Klan!

The only way I take my mayo is if it’s on the side of a bacon wrapped chicken tender with an extra large soda to drink it down with.

EDIT: /s

2 Likes

5 Likes

For anyone bemoaning how they can’t understand from a dictionary definition how a word can be offensive, a thread:

14 Likes

I fluv Merriam-Webster. They totally understand what their place is in the 21st century.

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.