Roll-up floating pool-pad that supports up to 1300lbs

I’m a little shocked we’re not hearing about this as part of a news story about a family that floated out to sea on one.

2 Likes

I’m a little disappointed that here on BB, I’m the first one to do the math: 6ft x 20ft x 1.75in = 17.5 ft^3. 62lbs/ft^3 * 17.5ft^3 = 1092lbs displacement. Minus 42lbs for the thing itself give me a total of 1050lbs. Color me skeptical that this can support > 1400lbs as the Amazon ad copy says.

That said: looks like fun!

2 Likes

I wonder if they’re counting the displacement from stuff placed near the middle that pushes that bit down? That would create more volume for displacement, no?
(kinda like shaping a sheet of paper into a funnel, if that helps the visual?)

Good point. People float, so perhaps they’re thinking 1400 lbs of humanity. I’d buy that (in the sense of “I’ll believe that”, rather than the sense of “I’d buy that” :slight_smile: )

Why is this so expensive?
You can get it at Canadian Tire for $500CAD

We got a smaller one for the cottage but friends down the lane have the big one, it’s pretty damn awesome!

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/sports-rec/marine/water-toys/water-toys-trampolines/floating-water-mat-0797107p.html

2 Likes

Hipster surcharge?

I just don’t think I’ve ever encountered something being cheaper in Canada than on Amazon.com (don’t get me started on Amazon.ca!) - i feel like this calls for a celebratory poutine or something!

4 Likes

Any excuse for a celebration that involves food (or anything enjoyable in general) is good enough! :smiley:

While it looks like expensive fun I do have one quibble.
“The Pad is the ideal playground on water for children.” NEVER unsupervised. This is a giant pool cover that a child could quite easily get trapped underneath.

Its not like pool covers at all, its quite stiff, but also quite light, it would be hard to get trapped under it.

Not that kids should be unsupervised around pools, just that is way safer than the solar blanket my Dad let us play on back in the 80s. :wink:

1 Like

The top of the table is above the lip of the pool… these poor fools could’ve just sat it directly next to the pool?

1 Like

Bad feng shui.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.