Rolling Stone blames Millennials for the ‘Disney Adult’ problem

What? Gothic ball pit! Brilliant!!!

13 Likes

7 Likes

But the stretching room in WDW doesn’t even take you anywhere!

One thing I appreciate about Disneyland park in general is that the lack of space to expand within the perimeter “berm” really forced the Imagineers to be creative and innovative when adding big new attractions. The iconic Haunted Mansion stretching room was created out of necessity, as an elevator to get you down below the level of the train tracks so that you can get to the big boxy show building hidden on the other side. The multiple drops in the Disneyland Pirates ride gets you low enough to do the same thing. In WDW where they have all the room in the world to add new attractions they often as not will just plop the ride buildings down wherever, which has resulted in a lot of sprawl and more walking for guests even though Disneyland park has more rides than the Magic Kingdom park.

But I’ll admit I’m biased here as a SoCal resident.

4 Likes

Now that you mention it, you can get silver ones too… :thinking:

4 Likes

Meh. This is the same argument they used against us in the late '90s and early aughts.

Back then it was about how video games and toys ruined a generation who refused to grow up. Well, what can I say? We had no kids and wanted to have some fun. So we did.

Also, now I make cartoons. Somebody’s gotta not grow up if all you breeders want more content for your kids.

7 Likes

I think my favorite quote about RS came from a Frank Zappa radio documentary. I don’t remember who said it but the gist was, “It took the world over 1700 years to produce a Mozart. Rolling Stone produces one every month.”

1 Like

Agreed. Let people enjoy things if it harms no one else.

1 Like

Good thing De Santis is solving that problem for them!

1 Like

New music is good. I still laugh about being told that my music tastes should be set/stuck to music I listened to in College and that by enjoying new music I was “appropriating” from younger people. Yes this was the same individual I mentioned in my first post.

5 Likes

One escapist fantasy meets another. One seems far healthier than the other.

3 Likes

I’m Gen X and in L.A., so I’ve been to Disneyland at least a dozen times. It’s usually a zoo. Overcrowded, long lines, very expensive, and cheesy. The returns you get for all that waiting just isn’t worth it to me. But hey, that’s just me.

Yet you went back eleven more times? :grimacing:

14 Likes

I will say, if I make it to a point in my life where money and time constaints are no longer a concern then my life may be just as stress free as those summers in high school with zero obligations were. Until then, I still have to do the whole adulting thing.

2 Likes

After I found that sleepaway camp wasn’t for me, I worked summers during HS (usually alongside adults). Now in my 50s, my summers are a lot more stress- and obligation-free in all ways than they were during my teenage years. It’s not so much about being an adult in the pinched conformist sense of the term we see in the article but rather the confidence and perspective and DGAF attitude that can come from reaching your 40s and 50s in reasonably good psychological and physiological and financial shape.

3 Likes

As someone with younger kids, I’ll be near 60 by the time it’s just me and the misses at the house. At the same time I suspect they will require or want less of my time as they enter those teenage years. Everyone tells me how I should savior these moments, yet at the same time I’d really like to sleep until 8 or 9 without having a child up before 6 am.

I generally didn’t care what people thought of me, and still really don’t, but I can certainly appreciate the idea of being more seen as equal to my adult peers. I can understand the feeling of teens not being “seen” by adults, but now having lived it some times it’s hard to explain that gap to them. But as my kids get older I strive to just not be all, because I said so, if there is an opportunity to give a real reason and some level of equality.

The only real thing I will say in regards to “kid” places and non-kid adults. Having patience and understanding for the other side goes a long way. This isn’t just theme parks, but in general. When my kids were little I didn’t let them scream it out or throw a tantrum in a restaurant. I’ve taken my food to go or sat in the car with my kid until things calmed down. In the same vein, if you don’t have kids and seeing that a small child is getting impatient for a ride or to move forward maybe it’d be a nice thing to let them go ahead. Some times thought you have to live it to truly understand it.

1 Like

My understanding is that shade balls come in any color you want; so long as it’s a cheap and effective UV stabilizer, which usually means the carbon black ones or the titanium dioxide ones. There are also some unpigmented options; which I can only conclude are for people who wish to establish breeding populations of microplastics in their water supplies.

1 Like

Thank you for your service

1 Like

I remember overhearing my mom tell a friend that my D&D was a phase I was going through. Still in that phase, over 40 years later.

5 Likes

On one hand, I feel like a lot of this generational divide is due to how many non-Millennials get all their information about what millennials are like from what they post on the Internet, and they don’t realize the internet is not real life. Also, usually when I hear people complaining about millennials, they’re actually complaining about Gen Z.

But on the other hand, people need to stop acting like this is all brand-new, like millennials and gen z are somehow something apart from every other generation. Like, isn’t the old people decrying the new generation coming up after them as lazy and spoiled just the normal thing that happens in every generation? It’s not like “in my day” diatribes were just invented in this century.

4 Likes

And some of us had parents who tried to protect us from crap. The pattern was very clear when I became an adult with discretionary income.

(1) I went to the Wisconsin Dells and the House on the Rock.

(2) I went to the State Fair and
(a) bought every silly sweet thing to eat (yes, more than one).
(b) rode on lots of rides (after the food, alas, so I felt pretty awful, just like everyone else had a chance to figure out at age 9).
(c) I tried to win a stuffed animal at a “gambling” booth.

I came to the same conclusion as my folks about the value of these things, but I did it for myself, dammit!

(In case it’s not clear, my folks took us to the fair and allowed one sweet, one ride, and no “gambling”. And the other places were Tourist Traps – OUR family visits historic sites and museums. YAWN)

2 Likes