Rolling Stone: Supreme Court leak ended Chief Justice's effort to convince Kavanaugh not to overturn Roe

I agree. But what single bit of action had been taken in the intervening half a century to codify that right? Or even to push back against the erosion of that right? This was a foregone conclusion decades ago.

1 Like

You know that’s not what I’m saying.

1 Like

Nah, bruh; repealing Roe flat out made situations that were already bad even worse.

Interesting way of looking at it, I guess.

From my POV, the real crux of the problem is rich White men with power passing laws over bodily autonomy that don’t affect them personally.

No one here reads minds, yo; for instance, if I did, I’d be rich and striving to fight money with money.

11 Likes

Again, I agree. But what action would have been taken if Miss. vs Jackson was upheld? Nothing and nothing.

1 Like

Do I? Saying that the overturn of Roe has some kind of silver lining is a horribly shitty take. Accelerationism never turns out the way people think. There is always an unacceptable cost in the “lull” before everything is “made right,” especially when that time may never come.

Do you want Gilead? Because that’s how you get Gilead.

13 Likes

You got tonight’s winning lottery numbers, while you’re at it?

Fucking A.

Prohibition didn’t fail until those control freaks made it a law, and then it took countless deaths and scores of acts of needless violence before they fucking ‘course corrected.’

That’s not acceptable in my book…

15 Likes

I don’t think it does. I do think however that women wer already being denied basic treatment for common sense pregnancy issues for the very reasons enumerated above. This is nothing new under the sun, it’s just that SCOTUS crossed a line that made it apparent. Why do you think maternal and post-partum health outcomes are downright barbaric in regressive states? I’m not advocating for accelerationism, but from a legislative standpoint, a) we’re already there and b) maybe now people will finally wake up to the horrors that we’re previously hand-waved away by even the most progressive legislators.

ETA: @Mindysan33, @DukeTrout and @Melizmatic, I’m not just driving trollies here. I deeply respect all three of you individually and really value our conversations, even when they aren’t fully aligned. Just want to say that my responses are not intended to needle or dismiss your concerns. They are 100% valid. I just happen to think things were already really fucking bad.

2 Likes

Your take is still pretty awful; no matter how you couch it.

9 Likes

That’s why I call bullshit on that one. Roberts is trying to spin himself as “not as bad as the rest of the fascist right wing”. This is the same guy who gutted the Voting Rights Act and supported Dark Money.

11 Likes

“People will get so sick of Nero, they will beg for the return of the Republic!”
“After a few years of Hitler, the German people will be demanding for the Junkers to take control again!”

7 Likes

this sounds like one of those arguments i heard in 2016 that"democrats should vote for trump so we can “increase the contradictions” enough to make more people turn against the fascist impulse. how did that work out? and how is it continuing to work out?

to my mind dobbs serves to make a launching off point for death cultists to vote for a national ban on abortion the next time they have the presidency and both houses of congress. and even if it doesn’t result in that how about a law restricting travel of women during pregnancy? maybe sold as a public health measure.

i’m sorry, i don’t usually fault-find over the opinions you express but i really think you should reconsider this one, especially if you consider that the 6-3 death cult majority on the court (5-4 if you consider roberts some kind of “moderate”) is liable to last for at least the next 4-10 years. considering the mischief they’ve wrought since they established that majority even one or two more years of it is going to be hell. i really don’t think you’ve thought through the consequences of all this.

12 Likes

They absolutely will.

2 Likes

Oh to be clear, I didn’t think you were. Usually, you have insightful, well thought-out comments.

The one above simply isn’t one of them IMHO.

It comes off as really tone deaf…

11 Likes

My apologies then. I assure you I am paying strict attention to everything that’s happening and am sickened to my soul.

ETA: And to clarify, because this has derailed the original topic; I don’t think this is a good outcome in any way. I think that if Roberts had managed to convince Kavanaugh to uphold Mississippi over the clinic, but not a full ban, we would see the exact same result, it may have just taken a few more months. Joe Manchin (or dozens of others who are anemic to sticking their necks out) would then have plenty of latitude to say “Well, it’s still a protected right, so I see no reason to do anything right now.”

lots of people have been paying attention. but have you not noticed that one of our political parties has devolved into an out and out death cult with a media that is based on the premise that “both sides do it”? and while there might be the slightest uptick in reporting on the catastrophe that restricting abortion rights has always been there is nothing in the present media environment that indicates that our media are learning. think about the response of the media to the pregnant 10 year old rape victim, a major “fact checker” plus the entire conservative media ecosystem piled on to cast doubt about the report.

as i said above, i don’t think you’ve really thought through the consequences of this.

9 Likes

Welcome to the club.

That said, I refuse to become demoralized or discouraged. I don’t have the luxury.

This fight ain’t over yet, and I will keep swinging…

14 Likes

They didn’t devolve, they’ve been there for a long, long time. I sat in the pews three days a week hearing exactly this same rhetoric when Roe was less than a decade old. The only thing that’s changed is that they’ve been winning consistently and that winning has emboldened them to go all the way and say shit they would only previously say in “safe” company.

I’m not saying this to be glib, but I have literally thought about the consequences of this since I was a child. It has formed every aspect of my adult life. It’s time for progressives to bring the hammer or surrender because the regressives have accomplished more than their wildest dreams and we’re on the precipice… if we haven’t already toppled over.

But I’m with Melz on this one.

2 Likes

This sounds like a factional battle between the proud, overt, radicals and the radicals who want radical outcomes that can be (and invariably will, at insufferable length, by pompous commentators unaffected by the matter at hand) be cast as merely incremental and procedurally correct workings of a long-established process.

Basically just the timid side of the dispute between the majority and Thomas over whether to spit on precedent in this case or whether to declare stare decisis dead and embrace spitting on precedent as a guiding principle.

1 Like

Hey, you remember how upset the court and conservatives were when they thought a liberal clerk had leaked the Alito opinion? And how there were pocket-turning investigations going to happen for that?

Now that it’s clear it was leaked by a conservative, those investigations somehow evaporated.

Fucking monsters, every one.

17 Likes

Blame men for that shit. The men that run the country, the men who dominate the parties, and the men who believe that women’s rights is a marginal issue that we can trade for gaining back white men in the heartland. After all, what’s a few dead sluts if we can get the white man to vote Democratic again…

BTW, like Clinton or not, she made the case for enshrining Roe. How many white dudes refused to vote for her anyway? Because of left-wing accelerationist BS and their misogyny.

This is NOT a good thing, and it won’t fix shit. Things are WORSE now, objectively, materially, and they will not get better as long as men are dominating the political parties and marginalizing the basic rights of women.

15 Likes