Supreme Court to strike down Roe v. Wade in draft ruling leaked to Politico

Originally published at: Supreme Court to strike down Roe v. Wade in draft ruling leaked to Politico | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Fuck them and everyone who voted for someone who helped put those justices on the bench.

109 Likes

FTFY.

61 Likes

Birth Control and Same Sex Marriage are next. Then, the Rethugs will pass legislation to ban all three across the nation.

69 Likes

At this point, if you live in a state likely to make abortion 100% illegal after this, you need to keep your eyes open for other red lines too. Watch for a case to challenge gay marriage coming up soon, and one to challenge gay sex and put that back on the books. If you’re in a state that will criminalize abortion again, or one that will likely criminalize or de-legitimize your marriage, THIS is the time to start making plans on where your red lines are and how you’re going to get to a place where you are safe.

Don’t wait until it happens if it could endanger your life or the lives of those you love. Start figuring out your red lines NOW and making plans for if those lines get crossed.

82 Likes

An appropriately toxic tribute to his late puppeteer, Scalia. This is a terrifying acceleration and clear signal of what the Death Cult Party has in store for this country.

56 Likes
54 Likes

FTFY Politico, because this sort of thing should be grounds for an official title change.

20 Likes

Best tweet:

(I know this is spitting into the wind, but the people in the Death Cult Party who want to end abortion simply cannot understand those who think it is in the inalienable right. And vice versa.

Forcing a plebiscite may actually help bridge that gap. )

35 Likes

Next comes the dragnet for whoever leaked this. Likely one of the law clerks. Or perhaps one of the GOP-owned jurists, throwing red meat to FOX, et al, or perhaps it was Thomas attempting to draw attention away from himself.

31 Likes

Something else to note, just … if you have HAD an abortion and live in one of the thirteen states where it has been illegal (but unenforceable) all along, it won’t be “ex post facto.” It means you need to contact an attorney and find out what the statute of limitations is and if you’re criminally liable in those states. These laws remained on the books in those states.

54 Likes

Not if they were hoping for good results at the midterms.

13 Likes

The slide to ChristoFascism is picking up steam…

43 Likes

I would also expect no-fault divorce to be on the list.

17 Likes

Leaked on purpose.

14 Likes

The way to maintain calm is:

Forget that it is a “court.” Forget they are “justices.” Forget they rule on the “law.”

They are not a court. They are simply another branch of the legislature. A “super” Senate, with life-time appointments, and (currently) 9 seats. They dont rule on law, they vote (usually along party lines).

They’re just like the FCC! If the FCC was composed solely of cranky grandparents from Florida, had lifetime appointments, and could determine what happened inside your body and who you could have sex with.

And if Democrats had had 2 more Senate seats, we would have many more Democratic justices on the bench (outvoting the narrow-minded grandparents).

38 Likes

The usual “Christ what an asshole!” isn’t enough for this one.

Gilbert Gottfried What An Asshole GIF

And they won’t be happy with this. They’ll need something new to campaign on. So it’s only going to get worse. We’ve already seen efforts against birth control and sex education.

Escaping Alexis Bledel GIF by HULU

33 Likes

Hate to say I told you so, but…

29 Likes

Worried about Loving, Brown, and maybe even Plessy.

23 Likes

Prohibition didn’t fail until the geniuses in charge decided to make it into law.

I foresee that this will go the same way, so:

BRING IT, BITCHES.

I will fight to my very last.

That said, sincere sympathies to all the women who are/will inevitably suffer in the meanwhile.

74 Likes