Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade

Originally published at: Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade | Boing Boing

10 Likes

alan rickman GIF

67 Likes

When Afghanistan fell to the Taliban, nobody thought that it could happen in America. But it just did. And it happened even more suddenly. Millions of women now living in a medieval theocracy are going to need help. And there is no guarantee that help is on the way.

83 Likes

The Devil never sleeps-

29 Likes

Soooo… boycotts of red states now? Starting with tourism, entertainment/sporting events & conventions? I dunno.

49 Likes

That Roberts sees over-turning Roe v Wade as somehow being good for corporate America and the ultra-wealthy (this is his only consideration in any decision) is an ominous sign. It tells me that he’s fully accepted that pandering to religious fundies and other nuts is the only way to preserve late-stage capitalism in America. It also tells me that he’ll be going along with the other conservatives on the court on future bad decisions on the flimsiest of pretexts.

Boycotts, sure. But also material support for vulnerable people stuck in states that are going Gilead.

53 Likes

How’s that leak investigation turning out? Bueller?

17 Likes

Do you want Handmaid`s Tale? This is how you got Handmaid’s Tale

37 Likes

Did they really think that a Friday news dump would reduce the shit hitting the fan?

36 Likes

I just cannot “like” that. Sorry…

37 Likes

States’ rights are bad when states want to prevent gun violence.

States’ rights are good when they want to deny civil rights.

Great job there, SCOTUS.

While we all knew this was coming it’s just hard for me to even express my outrage, disgust, and seething hatred for everybody and everything that led to this.

78 Likes

Roberts, the fucking coward, manages to bothsides it:

The vote to overturn Roe was 5-4, with Justices Clarence Thomas, Neil Gorsuch, Brett Kavanaugh, and Amy Coney Barrett joining Alito’s opinion. Chief Justice John Roberts filed a separate opinion, agreeing with the court’s decision to uphold the Mississippi law but arguing that the court should not have decided the broader question of whether the Constitution protects abortion at all. The court’s three liberals, Justices Stephen Breyer, Sonia Sotomayor, and Elena Kagan, filed a joint dissent.

28 Likes

Annnd a number of laws in various states just automatically kicked in.

No need to wait for consequences, they’re here.

49 Likes

Yes. Starting with the purchase of discount airplanes tickets in the immediate future and then several small bus companies over the next few months.

11 Likes

No shock whatsoever. States’ Rights are a figment foisted by the right as a cover for “you have the right to agree with fascists whole-heartedly or face prosecution/persecution.” I mean, is anybody gonna argue with that?

40 Likes

And yet states don’t have the right to regulate firearms. For reasons.

(EDIT: I see that @ficuswhisperer addresses this too)

26 Likes

Theocracy ascendant.

44 Likes

Fascists don’t want to have guns controlled. QID. At least until they are in total control, then you will see some serious gun control.

44 Likes

Nobody is safe in a red state. Not just women. Not just LGBTQIA folks. Not just minorities. Not even elementary students.

No more kids gloves for these folks. They turned being an asshole into an political ideology.

46 Likes

Another @#$! dark day for America! the only pollyanna ‘silver lining’ one might concoct is this should energize the midterm elections for progressives. If the DNC makes it an aggressive GOTV issue. -sigh-

28 Likes