Supreme Court to strike down Roe v. Wade in draft ruling leaked to Politico

This will go down in history, eventually, with Dred Scott as one of the worst Supreme Court decisions of all time. Chief Justice Roberts has allegedly been concerned about his legacy. Well…he doesn’t have to worry anymore. His legacy will be exactly like Taney’s.

I honestly am scared where this country is headed. I don’t know if we can even stop it now.

ETA: The only positive of this is that maybe this will wake the centrist Democrats the fuck up, both legislators and voters, and we can keep a majority of both Houses in the midterms.

53 Likes

47 Likes

Anything is on the table. It always has been. It’s why we keep saying that this is not a fight you win and forget about.

While many people here in the States have told themselves this could never really happen, a minority have spent decades rallying their base, tilting the rules in their favor and doing whatever they can to push back every scrap of progress since The Enlightenment.

28 Likes

I know it’s not over, but this is bad, and it won’t get fixed quickly. If they really go through with this, it will take years to reverse.

22 Likes

It was Gini Thomas. Calling it now.

28 Likes

Hell, this should wake up some of the moderate Republicans. They know that their re-election is in the shitter if they don’t fight this.

25 Likes

Indubitably.

I know.

There’s a LOT of staying power in the “if” part.

We shall see, but please - Don’t let yourself get demoralized; we have only just begun to fight.

31 Likes

66 Likes

This is just the start of the dominos falling. Bets that contraception and gay marriage are next on the list of challenges states rush to bring back to this illegitimate GOP stolen court?

15 Likes

My guess is GinniThomas. It’s my gut feeling that she thinks she’s invincible.

(Edited to correct the spelling of her first name and also a typo.)

16 Likes

Yeah, the only thing giving me hope is that leaking an opinion like this is, to my knowledge, at the very least extremely rare, and possibly completely unprecedented. I don’t know who leaked it, obviously, but whoever it was had a reason, and it was probably to see how the country was going to react to the news. I hope the reaction is strong enough to move Roberts and … Gorsuch or Kavanaugh? I don’t know who’s more likely to move.

25 Likes

If you’re of a mind that you can negotiate in good faith with these GQP’ers/KKKpublicans, it’s time to reevaluate that. They’re not at the gates, they’re already in your home.

50 Likes

(Oh wait, I owe @dfaris a coke.)

21 Likes
39 Likes

Thread.

35 Likes

Yes, he made up his mind ages ago that he would overturn it if he ever had the opportunity. It’s settled

16 Likes

Holy shit. It’s explicitly racist, too. From the footnotes:

“Some such supporters (eugenicists) have been motivated by a desire to suppress the size of the African American population,” Alito writes. “It is beyond dispute that Roe has had that demographic effect. A highly disproportionate percentage of aborted fetuses are black.”

43 Likes

I’ve heard this argument before. They act as if it’s the other side being racist.

24 Likes

In Canada, it’s time for masks off in the Conservative leadership race.

(It’s a trick. They’re all anti-choice if it gets them the support of groups that have used entryism to take control of CPC riding associations.)

19 Likes

Does anyone have good on-the-ground local organizations to give to in the currently-affected states? (My usual go-tos are Planned Parenthood and NARAL, but want to do more.)

17 Likes