Supreme Court to strike down Roe v. Wade in draft ruling leaked to Politico

It seems like just yesterday that Alito, at his confirmation hearing, was assuring the Senate that stare decisis is

a fundamental part of our legal system

which correctly

limits the power of the judiciary

and

reflects the view that courts should respect the judgments and the wisdom that are embodied in prior judicial decisions.

I believe he was under oath when he said this.

28 Likes

Let the victory lap(s) & crowing begin from the Christo Fascists. Especially the men that can’t biologically carry a child, but can force a Woman to…

22 Likes

Pretty much

24 Likes

Call it whatever the fuck they want; it’s a death knell for the death cult which will blow up in their fucking faces.

32 Likes

Step One: Pass the voting rights acts
Step Two: Pack the court

(I’m starting to sound like a broken record)

46 Likes

Hell, I’ll bet some on the court want to make the Dred Scott decision the law of the land again.

18 Likes

56 Likes

Let them fucking try, and watch what happens.

FUCKIN’ A.

28 Likes

Protests better start tomorrow and not let up

26 Likes

So,
Leak a document: Insurrection
Join an armed mob, calling for killing elected officials, to storm the legislature and disrupt the peaceful transfer of power to the incoming, duly-elected leader of your country in an attempt to seize power and overturn an election: Patriotism.

Sure, why not? It’s 2022, words don’t mean anything anymore.

30 Likes

I feel like that’s checkers and the GOP is playing chess. Or, wait, maybe versa-vice-a…

What they WANT is to mobilize dumb voters against any liberal/progressive candidates. And this ruling would DO that, just in time for the mid-term elections, because liberal/progressive/Democratic candidates will have to respond by declaring their support for abortion, making them easy targets for hyped up one-issue voters. Of which there are too many.

11 Likes

This feels like a fuckup. The timing is all wrong. There’s time for Dems to pass the voting rights acts before the election. This will bring out Dem voters like nobody’s business. Maybe that’s why it was leaked. Maybe the fascist justices were going to sit on it until it was too late to act. But it’s clear that Dems and any independents who actually give a shit about democracy need to act ASAP.

32 Likes

RESPECT EXISTENCE OR EXPECT RESISTANCE.

NO JUSTICE nO PEACE.

22 Likes

I’m guessing that it was leaked by Alito himself so that it could be out there on its own without the blistering dissent for several news cycles.

8 Likes

How are voting rights and or expanding the court going to happen with Mansinema cock blocking every Dem move?

I don’t see them magically moving back over to the Dem aisle.

13 Likes

Fortunately, they can’t. The Supreme Court never actually overturned Dred Scott. The States did when they ratified the 14th Amendment. So overturning that would require another Amendment repealing the 14th, and that ain’t gonna happen. That really would start a 2nd civil war.

15 Likes

Time to kill the filibuster and kill it good. Nullify the Sinema/Mancin flank.

19 Likes

I don’t know about that because all hell is already breaking loose, and Alito isn’t stupid enough to not have realized that would be the case. My guess is someone leaked it who wanted all hell to break loose over this, and that’s more likely to be someone who opposes overturning Roe v Wade. The dissents rarely get much more than a short quote in media reports anyway, so I don’t think he’d be worried about that.

15 Likes

feels game of thrones GIF

20 Likes

Prior to this, you’re right. But this is the watershed act that can finally move Mansema to drop the filibuster. Both Sinema and Manchin have made Roe the line they won’t cross. Since they won’t be able to pack the court prior to the election, and any legislation to create a national right to abortion won’t survive a GOP legislature, first order of business is to win 2022 and protect real democracy.

I mean, hell, this could move Murkowski to vote with Dems. Not Collins. She’ll be “concerned” and still vote with the GQP.

23 Likes