Ron DeSantis promises to shoot down imaginary smugglers "stone cold dead"

Originally published at: Ron DeSantis promises to shoot down imaginary smugglers "stone cold dead" | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Campaign aide: “Governor, say vote for me and we promise to kill drug dealers has that muy muy macho Rodrigo Duterte vibe that voters will just love!”
Ron: “I like it!”

11 Likes

I know of a guy in FL who smuggled a bunch of classified docs. I’m imagining a twofer.

15 Likes

@Carla_Sinclair that’s the “Cato Institute”.

4 Likes

to drug dealers

It’s too soon to talk about gun control

to nuts who literally gunned down kids at school/public place.

Fuck this guy, his party and everyone that support him.

13 Likes

If you ever wondered what would happen if a sadistic serial killer achieved political office, look no further than DeSantis.

9 Likes

Sure, immigrants aren’t the smugglers, but this isn’t him making the comment out of ignorance of that fact - you couldn’t tell who a smuggler is by looking at them anyways. This is nothing less than straight-up threatening to murder migrants (or presumably anyone you think might be a migrant.

The overt fascism is advancing a wee bit faster than I was expecting.

10 Likes

As I understand it, most smuggling of drugs happens via the customs check points, hidden in freight. Like in Breaking Bad.

Sure, there is smaller time smuggling, but the bulk of it is via an industrialized black market.

3 Likes

Not a good one, anyway.

A friend grew up middle-class in a certain South-East Asian country that had the death penalty for drug smuggling. His father wanted him to meet all kinds of people as part of his young education. One family friend was a cop. An acquaintance was a drug smuggler.

When he found out the smuggler’s job, he asked “Aren’t you worried you’ll get caught?”
The smuggler replied “I get caught reasonably often.”
“So, how are you still alive?”
“The trick to staying alive is to carry enough bribe money. ‘Enough’ is a month’s pay or so, per guard.”

So yeah, this whole thing is a cover for violence against a scapegoated outgroup.

11 Likes

So he’s promising the government will engage in summary executions if he gains power?

And this is something people want?

5 Likes

His “base”? Yes. They’re sure the problem with leopards is they lack the freedom to eat any face they want.

8 Likes

So, guys like Giuliani who helped Purdue illegally traffic in opiate narcotics? That the sort of guy he thinks should be shot on sight?

7 Likes

Think “smugglers” as a euphemism in the same vein the nazis used “partisans”.

8 Likes

… torturing prisoners at Guantanamo wasn’t manly enough apparently :confused:

7 Likes

How about someone who smuggled human beings across state lines? Does DeSantis want to let anyone capable of passing whatever requirements there are to be a cop in Florida be judge, jury, and executioner to them? [I don’t think even he’s that stupid.]

8 Likes

Summary execution of actual drug smugglers would be bad enough, but of course there’s no way that officers would know what’s in the damn backpack. In an interview a reporter rightly asked how the border patrol would make that distinction:

His response was that our soldiers in Iraq figured it out. (No, they obviously did not.)

6 Likes

Yes, they should ask an Iraqi how well the US sorted out their law enforcement.

5 Likes

“I like this guy DeSantis! He’s like Trump, but with even worse baggage!”

~ some potential GOP voter, probably

3 Likes

Mike Dukakis: “I’m gonna put on a helmet and sit in this tank.”

Everyone: “Man, what a sad loser wannabe, that’s his career over.”

Ron DeSantis: “I’m literally going to make a video in which I run around in a flight suit pretending to be Tom ‘Top Gun’ Cruise, then I’m going to tell everyone about how I’d like to use the military to shoot suspected criminals on sight.”

Some Conservatives: “That’s what a real man looks like!”

Other Conservatives: “What a sad loser wannabe. Now, stand over there and hold that Photoshopped poster of a bare-chested Donald Trump holding an AR-15, so I can airbrush some rippling abs onto his manly torso.”

I used to believe that, whatever their other possible faults, many conservatives were down-to-earth types who could recognize obvious bullshit when they saw it and wouldn’t stand for it. Those days are apparently long gone.

3 Likes

Ron’s simply the best and taking down strawmen.

Now if only we could find a country where that was a problem, we could export him.

2 Likes