Ron DeSantis issues racist, anti-semitic dog whistle in support of Trump

Originally published at: Ron DeSantis issues racist, anti-semitic dog whistle in support of Trump | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Damn that Soros, and his meddlesome backing!

36 Likes

Oh please, Ron. Please work to block the extradition. Getting a twofer would be incredible.

56 Likes

I wonder if Ron will pull something at Mar-a-Lago… something akin to Wallace. :wink::

24 Likes
20 Likes

Incredible; Trump has been trash-talking and belittling DeSantis all week long and now all DeSantis has to do to make Trump someone else’s problem is nothing at all, but he can’t even seem to manage that.

31 Likes

When he dies fascists like DeSantis are going to have to choose a new Jewish boogeyman to blame for all the world"s problems. I have no doubt they already have nominees in mind.

15 Likes
26 Likes

I am ignorant of the laws. But is there a law about intra-country extradition between states ? As far as I knew there is no way to block transfer to another state for trial.

2 Likes

Florida will not assist in the extradition request

Sounds to me like weasel words. I don’t see “block” or “stop” in there…

29 Likes

Is there anyone familiar with Legalmancy who can chime in what that means? It sounds like he’s leaving the extradition up to NY or Federal, and Florida officials won’t do any legwork? Or is this genuine obstruction?

6 Likes

They won’t look far. Soros has kids. They already don’t mention his first name, so it won’t be a difficult adjustment.

7 Likes

Donnie has to do business in Manhattan and spends a ton of time in New Jersey at his golf course. They’ll be able to arrest him.

Hey - they can always send the bounty hunters after him. Wouldn’t that be fun!

18 Likes

In a way though, it could be a power move. Last week Trump is basically saying DeSantis owes him. DeSantis would like nothing more than to turn the tables and have Trump in his debt.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth:

In Kentucky v. Dennison,[2] decided in 1860, the Supreme Court held that, although the governor of the asylum state had a constitutional duty to return a fugitive to the demanding state, the federal courts had no authority to enforce this duty. As a result, for more than 100 years, the governor of one state was deemed to have discretion on whether or not he/she would comply with another state’s request for extradition.

In a 1987 case, Puerto Rico v. Branstad,[3] the court overruled Dennison, and held that the governor of the asylum state has no discretion in performing his or her duty to extradite, whether that duty arises under the Extradition Clause of the Constitution or under the Extradition Act (18 U.S.C. § 3182), and that a federal court may enforce the governor’s duty to return the fugitive to the demanding state.[4] There are only four grounds upon which the governor of the asylum state may deny another state’s request for extradition:[5]

1. the extradition documents facially are not in order;
  2. the person has not been charged with a crime in the demanding state;
  3. the person is not the person named in the extradition documents; or
  4. the person is not a fugitive.

There appears to be at least one additional exception: if the fugitive is under sentence in the asylum state, he need not be extradited until his punishment in the asylum state is completed.[6]

24 Likes
15 Likes

Because Trump is famous for honoring debts…

23 Likes

DeSantis could, if he wanted to be a dick, delay things for awhile. He could appoint some committee to investigate to see if the documents are in order, but that would just be delaying the inevitable. If he decided to ignore the law and the Constitution, then he’s still just delaying the inevitable because there would be a court order coming his way from a federal court pretty quickly. If he ignored that, well…then I guess we’d be looking at a lawsuit coming from New York to compel him? And that heading to SCOTUS for a possible review of Puerto Rico v. Branstad. I doubt if DeSantis really wants to do that. Right now, since Trump’s lawyer is saying he’s going to turn himself in, this is just a really low risk thing for DeSantis to say to try to get back in MAGA’s good graces.

9 Likes

The DeSantis tweet reads 100% like it was written by Trump / Giuliani.

8 Likes

The Republican presidential wannabes are in a bit of a bind here. No matter how much they might want to defeat Trump (and, they assume, to inherit his mantle as the new Dear Leader), they still have to back him against the indictment. If not, DT waves his tiny hand and the MAGA rabble will kick them out of the club. This state of things can’t last forever, because the pretenders are too hungry for that ultimate power. It’ll be interesting to see who will be the first to peel off, and the excuse he’ll use to do it. My money’s on Darth Santis.

As for George Soros, it never ceases to amaze me how this nonogenarian runs the entire modern world, from the space lasers to the NY district attorney’s office, all by his lonesome. Must be a helluva multi-tasker.

12 Likes