Ron Johnson's anti-Palestinian rant implies American Jews aren't really "us"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/04/ron-johnsons-anti-palestinian-rant-implies-american-jews-arent-really-us.html

9 Likes

couldn’t get to the money quote because the asshole lost me with “we have no idea who those people are.” typical racist.

8 Likes

Nothing new here - the right consider white, Christian conservatives to be the “real” Americans, and the fewer categories you fit into, the less of an American or “regular person” (or “person”) you are. Especially the “white” bit (which of course is a shifting category with degrees that conveniently allows for othering or embracing select European ancestry groups as required). Ron Johnson’s infamous for saying the overtly racist bits out loud, too.

Though the first quote also gets into the racism infecting American medicine, which has long created imaginary medical differences in Black people (especially men) that directly results in sometimes dangerously poor medical care. (Even modern American medical textbooks are contaminated with long-debunked, 19th century racist bullshit.) In particular “conditions” that were only invented to excuse the brutality of law enforcement.

17 Likes

Keep in mind that this is the sort of elected official determining what is “antisemitism”.

Pro-extremist-Israeli government isn’t antisemitic, you see. Anything else, is.

19 Likes

The next step, if the GOP regains power, is to “encourage” US Jews to emigrate to Israel with a combination of arm’s-length stochastic terrorism, by giving white supremacist organizations a free hand and refusing re-entry to the US for Jews who leave the country for any reason. Or something like that. That’s how they will attempt to realize their Evangelical dream of the apocalypse.

How does anyone with two brain cells to rub together not realize the most vile antisemitism being practiced in the US is by Evangelical conservatives like Johnson?

22 Likes

So he hates Jews and Palestinians?

15 Likes

Entirely possible!

11 Likes

It’s not unusual for right-wingers to support Israel solely for its role in prophecy. In this view, the Jews are basically there are a sacrifice for when Christ returns. You don’t have to care about Jews for that.

20 Likes

In fact, one specifically DOESN’T care, as one is working toward a world-wide event that starts with all Jews who refuse to convert to Christianity being eradicated from the Earth.

12 Likes

i also think the gop likes netanyahu because of his similar approach in grabbing and keeping power. just like they’ve been friendly with authoritarian or fascist leaders of other governments.

and there’s also their desire for instability in the middle east because it helps put pressure on other governments to help us control the flow of oil

i feel like it’s hard to disentangle those who are true believers in accelerationism from those who want to use those beliefs to mask their political ends

i sometimes think it’s turtles - in this case power for power’s sake - all the way down

10 Likes

They always say “Judeo-Christian values”, but it’s easy to see which word is sitting in the ejector-seat.

9 Likes

I refer you to the Wikipedia page for Judeo-Christian: Judeo-Christian - Wikipedia

4 Likes

IMG_3886

9 Likes

For Ron and his ilk – yes, for Jews and Palestinians are folded into “those others”.

2 Likes

And remember that this guy is on the Senate Homeland Security Committee, protecting’us’ from’them’.
This Is Bad Uh Oh GIF by Amazon Prime Video

4 Likes

What a lying sack of shit.

5 Likes

Couldna put it better myself.

5 Likes

Ug. I just listened to a BBC interview with Amichai Chikli, the Israeli Minister of Diaspora Affairs. This guy was defending the government’s conduct in the war, denying that any Palestinians are going hungry right now, and condemning protests in American universities and elsewhere as being universally antisemitic. When the interviewer played him some audio of American Jews explaining why they were participating in the protests his dismissive response was “well, just like Americans can become radicalized and anti-American, and Brits can become anti-British, Jews can also become anti-Israel.” So it seems that there are some right-wing Israeli politicians who are happy to traffic in that same idea that Jews aren’t really part of the societies that they live in outside of Israel.

(This guy is a real piece of work. He was part of the extreme “New Right” party, and loves to rail against George Soros, so he’s got a lot in common with the far-right American politicians)

11 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.