Rudy Giuliani must pay $148m to election workers he lied about

Originally published at: Rudy Giuliani must pay $148m to election workers he lied about | Boing Boing

11 Likes

I am admittedly ignorant. How does this work? No way he has now, or ever will have, $148m right? How do the plaintiffs get their settlement, and much do the lawyers get of it?

14 Likes

12 Likes

I will never understand people who get to be very comfortable and are living a life of luxury and then, so close to the finish line, do stuff like this.

All he had to do is retire in the early 2000s and he’d be going on 20 years of sipping ice tea by the pool enjoying the good life.

bugs bunny eye roll GIF by Looney Tunes World of Mayhem

20 Likes

“Nice box you got there, buddy. Shame if something was to happen to it.”

8 Likes

Celebrate Its Friday GIF by telenet

14 Likes

Basically Freeman, Moss, and Giuliani‘s other creditors get in line as the courts divide up whatever assets he currently has and try to get a decent share of anything he makes in the future. They will never really be made whole, but they can hound Rudy for the rest of his life.

Alternatively, they can choose to settle for whatever they think they can realistically get out of him like all those families who were owed millions of dollars by Alex Jones.

20 Likes

Days later living in a van down by the river …

Several weeks from now…

6 Likes

Well, it’s been a while since I brought it out, but I think this justifies it…

(Should be cued up for you all to sing along.)

4 Likes

That’s a lot of money, Rudy, perhaps you should not have fucked around, the find out phase is expensive.
Oh My George Takai GIF

14 Likes

I certainly hope the courts don’t let him keep the van.

10 Likes

juries like to send “messages”.

No one has lived for thousands of years either.

10 Likes

Ooh, I can answer this, having just very recently taken Secured Transactions. But @Brainspore is correct. The plaintiffs have to get in line. In practical terms, they have a judgment, and now they have to execute a lien. So basically, they’ll fill out some paperwork, and try to get a lien against some of his assets, whether it’s real property or personal property or bank accounts or whatever. If he had a job with a steady paycheck, they could get a lien to garnish his wages. Right now, the plaintiffs are just judgment creditors, and that’s unsecured, which means they’re pretty far back in line. Once they get the lien, though, they can jump ahead in line a bit, although they will remain behind secured creditors whose security interests have been perfected. That’s getting a little technical, but basically, if Rudy took out a loan, and that loan was secured by his bank accounts, and the bank that loaned him the money perfected that interest (which means basically they filed paperwork to put any future creditors on notice that they have a security interest in those accounts), then they will be ahead of the plaintiffs. If someone loaned Rudy money but didn’t perfect their interest, then the plaintiffs here will be ahead of those creditors. In the end, it is really hard for plaintiffs like this to collect everything they’re owed. But what they do have which is also important is vindication. Hopefully they’ll get paid something, though.

Oh, and his lawyers are also likely unsecured creditors, which means if Rudy doesn’t pay them, they’ll have to sue him, although there are statutes that allow them to retain any documents of his they might currently have possession of if he doesn’t pay them. Similar to a mechanic’s lien or artisan’s lien that allows someone who repairs your car or your guitar or whatever to hold onto that item until you pay them.

20 Likes

“Rudy Giuliani is an American politician and inactive lawyer who has an estimated net worth of -$150 million.”

yep, that’s a negative number.

So, if you believe that political “capital” exists. this judgment says that “America’s mayor” should shut up now.

11 Likes

I could really use a full time servant.

4 Likes

Be careful what you wish for.

2 Likes

Squeezing Lemon Juice GIF

4 Likes

Ok, he has now received some form of justice and I won’t be frustrated if he has a jammer and dies. I don’t wish death on anyone, but some people will be… less mourned. I would have mourned if he had died before justice was somewhat served, because the USA really really really needs to assert the rule of law right now.

Now for the other guys.

6 Likes

Unfortunately, citrus juice is not fluid that is released when someone applies pressure to Giuliani.

6 Likes

I’m OK with him keeping the van under the conditions that it’s his primary residence.

6 Likes