Rudy Rucker and Bruce Sterling talk about their new anthology TRANSREAL CYBERPUNK

the state of my knowledge about humanit(ies|y) is loathsome

1 Like

Yeah, no worries. To be fair, there is a fair amount of overlap. Iā€™ve read tons of sociological and anthropological works, and Iā€™m sure they read some history stuff in their departments.

In theory, weā€™re all supposed to be interdisciplinary now, but the truth is that many of us just sort of dig into our positions and sneer at all the other humanities as ā€œnot doing it rightā€. Since my field is sort of cultural, I end up at lots of conferences with english, American studies, musicologists, and sociologists. We all get along famously at the PCA conferences.

1 Like

More like Egan^2.

Either of them is a better writer than Egan by far.

Sterling is a better and Rucker maybe a slightly better stylist. But Eganā€™s more mind-blowing, IMHO. All three are go-to authors for me though.

Well, except that while heā€™s a great idea guy, heā€™s not as good of an actual wordsmith.

Donā€™t get me wrong, Iā€™ve enjoyed plenty of Eganā€™s work but, out of the three, heā€™s the only one who has had a book Iā€™ve put down out of sheer boredom and never returned to.

With Sterling and Rucker, when they have a new novel out, I read it within a week or so. I havenā€™t even read Eganā€™s last trilogy.

Incandescence in inaccessible even by Egan standards, not in the sense of being hard to grok (itā€™s arguably one of the easier that way), but in the sense of dragging itā€™s heels. I first read Egan in high school, his debut novel An Unusual Angle. Although I was blown away by the weirdness of it, it was so clunky that I gave up on him for years until I read Diaspora. The appeal for me is that he manages to make esoteric math and science into amazing story ideas. Iā€™ll certainly grant that his prose isnā€™t that impressive, but he can honestly get away with it with me if he keeps up the sensawunda.

Why have I never heard of this novel?

My favorite of his is Diaspora, followed by Schildā€™s Ladder.

I do have a soft spot for his AI assembled from scanned parts in Iran though. That was a better than normal novel for him when it came to writing.

I havenā€™t read his Clockwork Rocket books so I donā€™t know if theyā€™re good or not. I have them in ebook on my kindle though.

P.S. Heā€™s a real mensch too. He gave up writing for years because he was working on refugee rights in Australia instead.

Zendegi was definitely one of his best. I even bought the hardcover, and I rarely do that.

I honestly donā€™t know if youā€™d enjoy the Clockwork Rocket trilogy. I promise this isnā€™t a pun, but it has a slow take-off and the character dynamics, while characteristically brilliant in their reliance on bizarre mechanics, donā€™t feel very organic. As usual though, thereā€™s really nothing like it when it comes to the ideas at the center of the story.

I remember reading Diaspora and being just blown away by the way he described the characters altering their minds to perceive higher dimensions. Itā€™s the closest Iā€™ve ever come to a visceral grasp of something fundamentally beyond human grasp. For comparison, Ruckerā€™s Spaceland is a fun ride, but while the four-dimensional physics is rigorous, I didnā€™t really feel it the way Egan took me on a tour of five dimensions.

Reading that last paragraph and realizing, yup, Iā€™m a colossal nerd.

Egan is so private, which I actually admire, that I only say this based on his writing, but I get the feeling from his characters that he isnā€™t much of a people person (with the caveat that itā€™s always perilous to analyze someone based on their fiction). But yeah, heā€™s been a proponent of human rights and all good science journalism for years, which adds to my admiration for the man.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.