Rules for Bible class

We might need a rules clarification on that one.

3 Likes

I want you to smite me as hard as you can.

8 Likes

I know, right? I don’t even see anything about Bible school in the source, so I wrote it all off as just… Cory being Cory again. sigh

I used to love this site.

2 Likes

Let us all wring our hands in contemplation of the Bible school this didn’t come from.

2 Likes

Oh, wait, I found Cory’s original source.

Some random Tumblr user says “I think it’s a Bible class” in the comments.

Yup. A Gallery of Unattributed Things.

2 Likes

Uh… because this very question of which linguistic code is dominant – and whose power reinforces it and how – raises all sorts of pretty salient issues of linguistic power, class and race politics, and all sorts of other really touchy issues that I don’t think could be trusted to an institution like this?

Or because there’s tons of linguistic evidence that the really meaningful innovations in a language come from youth, and we might actually be materially harming the diversity and adaptability of our language by restricting new phrases purely because they’re (a) novel and (b) come from a group of people we simultaenously insist behave like adults but won’t give adult dignity and respect to?

Or because a lot of us have been severely damaged by religious schools turning outright abusive as they’re attempted to inculcate their sociopolitical values into us? Or because we go through this every single freakin’ generation and we’ve never suffered the slightest provable harm from youth culture, even after cohort after cohort of panicky adults freak out* about What’s Wrong With Our Children These Days?

*Case in point. Listen to any modern TED talk, or political address, and pay attention to how much of it was unacceptably colloquial 50 years ago.

5 Likes

Are you… disappointed in bOINGbOING? or nah? (sorry to be patronizing)

3 Likes

“Good morning, teacher!”

“All right, that’s the last time. You’re out of here!”

10 Likes

It would be great to have some context, but I don’t see any links at all. But it’s a cute sign.

1 Like

It just kinda is sad for me. My grandmother’s Facebook is better than this :frowning:

1 Like

I thought that it was the 6th rule…

But you, when you pray, enter into your closet and lock your door, and pray to your father who is in secret, and your Father who sees in secret will reward you in public.
5 Likes

23 skidoo!

1 Like

You rang?

1 Like

I welcome any suggested tactics for getting out of Bible class.

3 Likes

One easy way is realizing that the bible was written by misogynists and xenophobes and using its own text to prove it to the instructor.

4 Likes

Oh, I haven’t stepped foot in a church in years. The only religious experience I’ve ever had was the moment I realized that everything I’d ever been taught was bullshit. Haven’t looked back since :smile:

4 Likes

I’d just constantly debate them, and soon enough they’d make efforts to not let me back. Any “demerits” they threaten people with are only meaningful for those who feel social pressure to be affiliated with them. Some parents and families would fuss about it, but they probably are even less able to defend their chosen reality tunnel than the teachers.

3 Likes

Me neither, although it took me till high school biology and social studies in 9th grade to figure out the bullshit. After that it took me till I was maybe 20 to realize that religion is a stupid way for lazy people to adhere to the pro-social values they already had builtin, and were substituting thanks to systemic lies and ignorance as well as formal teaching that facts don’t matter.

3 Likes

As I’ve aged, I’ve moved away from the stance that religion is stupid. I understand it’s appeal to an average person. It can be a comfort in uncertain times (though these folks forget that their has never been a “certain” time in history), but I get nervous when rich people and their puppets start using Christian buzzwords and talk about families. It usually means they’re preparing to fuck us one more time. Religion is fine, if not a little silly, in the hands of the frightened, but it’s a weapon in the hands of monsters.

2 Likes

I am sure you are thoroughly convinced, since you keep insisting upon this. But I think conditioning systems are merely value-neutral technologies in and of themselves. What it comes down to is that people need to cultivate some self-control, or otherwise others will control them. Hating the medium itself is disempowering. It’s like banning computers if 99.9% of people use them only for stupid shit. But if they aren’t going to stop, there’s no reason why you can’t use them for something else. When “it’s all just tech” then there is no time for reacting against reactionaries.

3 Likes