Rules of Engagement for the National Guard at the Biden Inauguration

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/18/rules-of-engagement-for-the-national-guard-at-the-biden-inauguration.html

3 Likes

If they’re white and have a gun, shoot them. If they’re black, unarmed and running away, don’t.

10 Likes

I don’t think that really tells us what the ROE actually is. But a lot of times ROE is more restrictive than what the police use. Kinda fucked up, really.

2 Likes

He says very little except that they may defend themselves.

6 Likes

It’s really tragic that all the care going into NOT making the inauguration a super spreader event this year may be undone by bringing 20,000 people from all over the country together, then sending them back home. Between that and the expense to the taxpayers, thanks a lot, insurrectionist dipshits.

11 Likes

Seems like this is maybe the best argument in favor of gun control. A bunch of heavily armed, cognitively challenged Americans attempting to overturn a free and fair election. For my first 35 years I was vehemently pro-gun, but the last 8 years have laid bare what I was actually supporting. These people aren’t capable of behaving responsibly, and they couldn’t make a good decision to save their own lives (literally). They need supervision. Instead, we let them spend their paychecks on guns and armor, and turned them loose to enact their GI Joe fantasies.

19 Likes

MAGA hat = sudden acute high velocity lead poisoning.

3 Likes
15 Likes

There’s a reason the British military stopped wearing bright red into combat situations.

11 Likes

Welcome to the ex-gun nut club!

4 Likes

Jesus Fucking Christ. All I have to say about that.

8 Likes

It appears to now be US government policy to pose an organized response to armed insurrectionists.

That’s a nice change, at least when it comes to white right-wing insurrectionists.

9 Likes

It’s worth pointing out that the last time open carry was super popular (in the second half of the 19th century), it became such a problem that just about every city ended up passing their own gun control ordnances.

9 Likes

Huh. Good thinking.

Wonder how they came up with that.

5 Likes

i haven’t seen any numbers like that being estimated for this inaugural event. i have only seen and read strong emphasis on NOT attending – even the Biden/Harris official statements about it are stressing “stay at home inauguration event” and providing links to “attend virtually”.

2 Likes

A quick look at history?

6 Likes

It’s so weird Cuccinelli got the bland “official government official” treatment from 60 Minutes, without any reference to his own malfeasance.

He was weaseled into his appointment because they knew they could never confirm him. And the Trump people were so bad at weaseling, they couldn’t even do that right. Any policy he institutes is legally unenforceable.

5 Likes

I. . . was thinking recent history.

1 Like

I believe the 20k number referred to the number of National Guard now assembling from all over the country and sleeping in the same hallways and stuff. Right when - as you mention - the whole idea was to limit covid spread at the inauguration.

2 Likes

As I understand it, for the segment of the US population that is of concern, 1861 is recent history.

3 Likes