Runaway zebras recaptured by clowns

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/30/runaway-zebras-recaptured-by-clowns.html

4 Likes

Really? I’ve lived a fairly urban life but I’ve known from a young age what a rodeo clown is. Guess today you’re one of today’s lucky 10000!

13 Likes

[Washington State Patrol spokesperson Trooper Rick] Johnson said the driver was taking the zebras to Montana, though he didn’t know why.

Because last week they went to the beach.

13 Likes

I’m assuming they’re clowns who perform at the rodeo, instead of in tiny cars at the circus. But that feels too obvious. If it is accurate, though, I’m just sad that there’s no footage of them lasso’ing the zebras.

3 Likes

Yes, and one of their main functions is to distract (and sometimes get chased by) angry bulls once a cowboy gets tossed off of it, in order to prevent the cowboy from getting trampled or gored to death. Their signature move is to dive into a large barrel for safety. They’re the heroes of the rodeo!

12 Likes

Yep, some measure of performance to keep crowds entertained at rodeos, and a lot of distracting angry animals from injuring or killing cowboys. They probably have some general animal wrangling skills, though there’s a big difference between safe handling of a horse and safe handling of a zebra…

1 Like

If this episode seems a bit Lynchian, remember that North Bend is where “Twin Peaks” was filmed.

1 Like

One underestimates the rodeo clowns at their own peril.

4 Likes

I read somewhere that they’re responsible for more zookeeper injuries than any other animal because their resemblance to horses can lead even experienced animal handlers to let their guard down.

Apparently male zebras have sharp canine teeth used exclusively for fighting. Nasty buggers.

2 Likes

Yeah, Zonkeys are far friendlier. It’s a shame that their numbers are dwindling.

3 Likes

Not Debras? :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.