Running Minecraft on a working virtual PC inside of Minecraft

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/30/796746.html

2 Likes

You can’t fool me. It’s Minecrafts all the way down.

4 Likes

I’m prepared…are you?

2 Likes

I’m prepared…are you?

Bring it… :grin:

4 Likes

Oh boy, World of World of Warcraft for real!

1 Like

remember when we thought the matrix was a movie and not a documentary

Okay, now I’m going to hide in my cave until the sun comes up. In the mean time, I’m sending my kiddo out on the board her and I made :slight_smile:

3 Likes

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

endless_spiral_hallway

4 Likes

And when do the zombies spawn?

1 Like

I heard you like Minecraft so we put Minecraft in your Minecraft so you can Minecraft while you get blown up by a creeper you didn’t notice lurking around behind you.

3 Likes
  • MINECRAFT MATRIX
  • MINECRAFT INCEPTION
  • MINECRAFT TURDUCKEN

0 voters

3 Likes

Okay let’s clear a few things up here.

This is not “Minecraft running in Minecraft”. This is a user interface stunt. The Virtual Box emulator is supplying a “PC block” which just pipes the rendering of the emulator to a texture that Minecraft can use. Your PC is now running an emulator in parallel with your copy of Minecraft, and you can run Minecraft in that emulator. Since Virtual Box heavily leverages native hardware any time the architecture being emulated is a close match to the physical hardware, Minecraft running inside Virtual Box is 90% running native on your PC, with some environmental housekeeping overhead to isolate the process.

So really you’re just running two copies of Minecraft beside each other, with one rendering to a texture inside other.

Now, people have built functional computers with Minecraft elements and that is what this headline is implying they are doing. I was amazed that someone had built one sufficiently powerful to run PC software, but was disappointed by this actual stunt. I am not disappointed in BoingBoing. I want to be very clear on that point.

With that bit of pedantry out of my antisocial system, carry on with inception and matrix jokes.

8 Likes

you are raising that kid right!

2 Likes

Those trucks sucked :slight_smile: I got the alignment off by about one degree and we use the board for decor in her room :slight_smile:

1 Like

If it’s not redstone, it’s not the real thing! Disappoint

1 Like

3 Likes

Homemade Steve heads FTW! There’s pretty much exactly the same one, fairly beat up at this stage, in our house. Made, as I suspect many (yours?) were, from a printer paper box.

1 Like

Yeah, the headline is definitely misleading. I was thinking it was something akin to Dwarfputers in Dwarf Fortress, and my mind was boggling at the compute power necessary to perform such a feat.

Nope. USPS shipping boxes that I raided from the post office. Window screen from the hardware store for the ears and eyes, and very meticulous pixel paint job. Then an internal crown circle to stabilize it and cuts for the shoulders so it rested well.

My neighbor’s son had the Minecraft sword and he let me borrow it for the evening. In exchange he got the Steve head on Nov. 1st. His parents told me he was wearing it all year after that until it finally fell apart. Glad it got more than one day use since it took a whole day to make it :slight_smile:

2 Likes