Russia coronavirus vaccine 'Sputnik V' safe despite no clinical trials, says Putin

I am pro-vaccination through and through and I intend to get the Covid19 one

Having said that and in the current situation, with the anti-vaxxers banging on 24/7 this is not the time to mess this up. If this vaccine is used extensively and has some undesirable effects it could do a lot of damage.

I wish everybody kept their dick in check and worked towards the common goal

8 Likes

I did not know about Sputnik 3.

But officially, there wasn’t a Sputnik 4.

1 Like

Fair point, as long as it actually works and they share it (in this hypothetical scenario), it’s far from the worst possible outcome. Didn’t really think my comment through, it’s too easy to just be bitter and cynical these days. :expressionless:

4 Likes

^THIS

The vaccination debate already made real and necessary debate about medical research very hard and now this!

On the other hand, whatever Putin says this vaccine can never be sold in countries with proper regulations and control. Believe me when I say organisations like the FDA and the EDQM will be on it like a hawk.

COVID-19 vaccine research is rushed in other countries as well but that rush is mostly about document review processes and such. Real safety and efficacy tests are still happening before anything will be used in larger scale.

2 Likes

Yeah, this. As the death rate rolls downward well below one percent for the young and healthy, it’s reasonable for them to ask that any vaccine they are asked to take clearly beat those odds.

3 Likes

Fuck that. We have a Russian overlord (at least in his own mind) right now. I am absolutely not bowing down to his orange ass.

9 Likes

I think I will trust Fauci on this one far more than Vlad.

17 Likes

The problem is that the Russian people have no mechanism to keep their dick in check - he’s pretty much president for life, now.

Vlad The Injecter?

9 Likes

In fact, ‘cytokine storm’, the massive overreaction of the innate immune system that TGN1412 induced, is thought to be a principal mechanism whereby severe COVID-19 kills the patient. That’s why immunomodulatory drugs (glucocorticoids such as dexamethasone) were tried - and appear to have had some success in severe disease. That’s also why the same drugs would be actively harmful in mild disease, when you want the innate immune system to be suppressing the virus.

And since nothing in life is 100% safe, I don’t expect that the US will ever have herd immunity. One pollitical wing or the other will be in favour of a vaccine, therefore, the other must oppose it and will trumpet even a handful of adverse events 24/7 in the media.

‘Proper regulations and control’ rules out the 21st-century US. I expect that some vaccine will be approved by executive fiat. If any FDA director balks, there is no shortage of political cronies to be the acting director temporarily replacing the fired one. The remote possibility that there will be a change of administration does not change that assessment.

Which, in turn, means that the vaccine will not be accepted by whichever party is not in power, because we know that the approval process was political. There is no truth. There is no objective reality. There is only what your tribal leader says at any given moment.

5 Likes

Jesus Christ, world, are we trying to enact the prologue of an apocalyptic sci-fi zombie plague? Because “Russian dictator rushed untested vaccine into production” is a little on the goddamn nose.

6 Likes

it is fascinating how people p]believe a report that is almost surely based on garbled English-language Russian media reporting.

In one case Russia is going full-speed ahead with an untested vaccine and ins another it is the research institute and a Soverign Wealth company are negotiatiing st.

2 Likes

Blasted cat.

To continue
the research institute and a Sovereign Wealth company are negotiating with the Philippines for what looks like Phase 2 and Phase 3 testing. Philippines’ Duterte says will be Russia vaccine ‘guinea pig’ as talks begin

3 Likes

1-3 went to space. 4 is a mystery. It is hard, for me, to even find if something was informally called that because English language media kept numbering Soviet launches as Sputnik*, even after the Soviet names had moved on.

2 Likes

Russia coronavirus vaccine ‘Sputnik V’ safe despite no clinical trials, says Putin

That’s a funny way to write ‘Election meddling’.

3 Likes

Both sides do it, huh? Fuck that shit.

4 Likes

Well, if by “both sides” you mean both the Republicans and Единая Россия, then absolutely yes both sides.

4 Likes

No need for a political party. The antivaxx crusaders are slobbering at the chance to paint all vaccines with the issues associated with a rushed, half-tested Covid vaccine. Vlad the Injector (thanks, @anothernewbbaccount!) has set them up beautifully. He might even be doing that intentionally.

10 Likes

To be sure, the current Occupant’s promise of an October vaccine surprise does not fill me with confidence.

6 Likes

In medicine, “surprise” is always bad. Always. We loooove boring. I so much wish for boring…

9 Likes

There’s a sizable overlap between antivaxxers and lefties, so yes, both sides will do it.

But I’m not trying to get into both-sides-ism. It’s clear that there’s one side that’s made a concerted assault on the truth - not by lying, but by denying that there is an objective reality that makes lying possible. Shouts of ‘FAKE NEWS!’ and ‘It’s been in all the newspapers - except yours!’ corrode the truth even for those they do not convince. Framing every argument with ‘whom do you believe’ reduces every argument to ad verecundiam.

Still, Mother Nature will answer with the bray of Nasruddin’s donkey.

2 Likes