Russia invades Ukraine

All us USainians need to relax about this. Trump thinks its a “genius” move and the GOP leadership agrees with him. What can possibly go wrong? /s

11 Likes

I´m horrified.
What news to wake up to.

26 Likes

Yeah, that’s the rather obvious answer. I keep seeing people saying things along the lines of “What kind of kompromat does Putin have on/what kind of bribes is Russia giving to Tucker Carlson (/other Republican)?” But Putin doesn’t need to do any of those things when the Republicans are simply fascists supporting fascists…

43 Likes

The only exception I’d make there is Biff, who subscribes to no ideology except that of his own narcissistic self-image as reflected in money, attention, and power. For him fascism and admiration of fascists like Putin is merely a means to that end.

36 Likes

Why didn’t Ukraine get THAAD in time? Without that, Russia can fly sorties non stop all over Ukraine and no one there will have the morale to fight when bombers are free to do whatever they want with no interference.

1 Like

Exactly. These people are modern Charles Lindberghs, Henry Fords, and Charles Coughlins. They support white supremacy, they support hate, they support authoritarianism, and they support, in this case, Russia.

No one needs to pay them to do it, for them it is it’s own reward

34 Likes

And how is Ukraine supposed to get THAAD? It’s used by the US, Saudi Arabia, and UAE only at the moment.

Edit: if you’re criticizing US for not offering the system for Ukraine, remember that they aren’t even a NATO member.

14 Likes

Honestly, I think his across the board approval of authoritarians and strong men and the way he talks about them goes beyond being a means to an end, but I think that discussing it would press up against the bbs rules. Suffice say I think that he feels a need to believe that he is accepted by them and has their approval and will lavish them with praise and give them whatever they want to get it.

20 Likes

Do we know at this point if Belarus is a belligerent country taking part in this war? It seems that Russian forces have entered Ukraine from Belarus, and it is hard to imagine this all happening without coordination and support from the Belarusian government.

13 Likes

I have not seen anything yet, but I also don’'t use Twitter. You are right that it does seem to follow. I will keep an eye out

4 Likes

And South Korea.

5 Likes

Looks like it

12 Likes

russia has had troops in belarus doing joint training the past few weeks i believe. 30,000 troops they said

they want to run the us the same way. it gets them very excited. and if they support putin now, maybe he’ll support them later. quid pro quo

20 Likes

Why Ukraine gave up its nuclear weapons — and what that means in an invasion by Russia

3 Likes

There were a bunch of news stories a couple weeks ago about Ukraine getting THAAD, and then they all disappeared. Saudi Arabia and UAE are also not NATO and they got it. Israel isn’t NATO and it got F22s, which were never intended for export. The only thing (that I can imagine) that stopped Ukraine from getting THAAD in time was the US, Pres. Biden in particular, didn’t agree to it.

Without THAAD Russia has the freedom of Ukraine’s skies, and no one will have the will to fight.

I know that the decision to supply THAAD or not must be more complex than I can know with my limited information, but I still wish we had done it. We should have given Ukraine a fighting chance, and hope.

27 Likes

You do realize that THAAD is an anti-ballistic missile system and that Ukraine has anti-aircraft systems in place, right?

14 Likes
18 Likes

No, he didn’t want to upset the Chinese. He needs them for support.

28 Likes

It is particularly amazing how unprovoked and unilateral this whole thing has been. In 2008, Russia waited for Georgian military to respond to limited provocations before launching a full invasion. In 2014, Putin could claim that the annexation of Crimea was provoked by the overthrow of Yanukovych. Russian actions were disproportionate and unjustified, but they could at least point so some external trigger. But the situation in Ukraine for the past few months was much the same as it had been for years since 2014 - some limited fighting (“ceasefire violations”) along the frontline, no major moves to shift it. The ramping up of tensions has been entirely from the Russian side - the insane list of demands to NATO, the increase of false-flags and fake incidents, the whole puppet show of the past week with the security council, recognition of “independent” “republics” and the “request” to invade. If Putin gets away with this, what can’t he get away with?

32 Likes