Russia invades Ukraine

One bit of speculation on how this spreads:

10 Likes

Deleted tweet

5 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: And Whatabout Your Black People…?

I’d hope not, but depending on how things go, we can’t rule it out…

I don’t know…

Russian forces have pushed into the Chornobyl exclusion zone

What are they thinking?!?

Angry Ufc GIF

Russian forces entered Chernobyl and that fighting there destroyed a nuclear waste storage facility.

how high wtf GIF

15 Likes

Just, FYI, this tweet seems to be gone now?

You have another source for this?

4 Likes

“Minister says.”

9 Likes

They are thinking that Ukrainian forces will withdraw from the zone to avoid any risk of radioactive material being released, allowing the Russian advance to speed up.

12 Likes

Also, @beschizza maybe the “automatically closed” on this thread can be extended to “a month after the last reply?” I feel like we’re in for the long haul here.

19 Likes

here’s the best i can find right now–

9 Likes

Indeed. Protecting the Dnieper from contamination is pretty important, since it’s the water supply for a few million people, including Kiev

15 Likes

I will delete that, I saw more tweets about it earlier, but they have been deleted (It was a mis-translation). So as far as I can tell fighting has entered the area, but a nuclear waste storage facility wasn’t destroyed.

11 Likes

I agree. This is definitely the end of any progress on nuclear disarmament. Although, I think that ship truly sailed in 2014.

7 Likes

The Ukrainian government might be afraid that the Russians want an “accident” to happen.

13 Likes

So, that confirms that they are in the exclusion zone, but not that they destroyed a nuclear waste facility…

@navarro… ugh, the mirror…

Thanks. Either way, being in the zone is so fucking stupid.

Russian occupation forces are trying to seize the Chornobyl nuclear power plant. Our defenders are giving their lives so that the tragedy of 1986 will not be repeated.

Face Palm No GIF

24 Likes

Concerned, certainly. But the mood and policy is still based on the idea that we are a safe haven in this crisis. There are preparations for accepting a flood of refugees, talk of sending medical units to Ukraine on a volunteer basis, helping out Ukrainian nationals who are currently working here - either by supporting their stay, or by letting them go to their families or fight for their country if they wish. Being on the better side of the NATO and EU borders certainly helps with the sense of security.

15 Likes

Thread:
https://twitter.com/BenQuinn75/status/1496855661711446019?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1496855661711446019|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fworld%2Flive%2F2022%2Ffeb%2F24%2Frussia-invades-ukraine-declares-war-latest-news-live-updates-russian-invasion-vladimir-putin-explosions-bombing-kyiv-kharkiv

23 Likes
13 Likes

Putler is a ruthles killer of oppostion, as we know, but I hold onto some hope that the Russian people won’t put up with this shit.

16 Likes

Something I wasn’t expecting:

Greece traditionally has strong ties with fellow Orthodox Russia but from the outset has firmly come out on the side of its fellow EU and Nato partners blasting Putin for violating international law by staging the attack.

In an excoriating statement the Greek foreign ministry said it “unequivocally condemns” the Russian attack which “undermines European peace and security.”
Russia invades Ukraine and advances on Kyiv – as it happened | Ukraine | The Guardian

Link should go directly to the post.

9 Likes
15 Likes