Russia invades Ukraine

Quislings gonna quisling.

7 Likes

Wow. Some people use their services and infrastructure to provide assistance during disasters, but Uber just nopes right out of there. If the drivers were willing and able to keep providing rides, the company could’ve at least left it operational.

This is scary stuff. My heart goes out to all our mutants over on that continent. :pleading_face:

25 Likes
12 Likes

Sigh, no.

Is from a Danish song, and means “The adults can also be afraid.”

7 Likes
12 Likes
10 Likes

Understandable. I bet the baltic states are glad that they are in NATO. F- this. Wasn’t to happy with the direction PIS was pushing Poland, but at these times, intra-EU squabbles should be shelved for the time being.

I admit that I didn’t see the big deal of North Stream 2 for our Eastern neighbors, even suspected that they didn’t want to lose the capability to turn of Germany’s gas supply, but that one needs also to be shelved until Putin is not only gone, but replaced with an actual democrat.

6 Likes

I am sure ~2030, the talking heads with pro-Russia talking points, and also the politicians who have no stomach to intervene beyond sanctions will be saying things like, “No one could have predicted [latest tragedy]…

Ukraine won’t be the last. The only questions are: What’s next, and How far will Putin go?

8 Likes

I’m sure Moldova is a little worried right now

15 Likes

Overstatement?

34 Likes

At least Latveria will be safe, even Putin wouldn’t mess with Doom.

Yes, I do resort to black humor to deal with stress.

8 Likes

Not at all. The populace of the US is extremely divided right now, and the hardcore Trump supporters will agree with their Dear Leader that Putin is very strong, and very smart, and protecting the poor innocent separatists in Ukraine. And I don’t know about everyone else, but after 20+ years of war in Iraq and Afghanistan, I do not have the stomach for a new war in eastern Europe. I cannot see the US committing troops to protect Ukraine. And I don’t want to. But I also want Putin stopped. So yeah, Putin put us in a tough spot.

22 Likes

Stay safe… I hope this doesn’t spread…

Shocked Futurama GIF

18 Likes

This is a scary thing. If China continues to deepen ties to Russia, well… that’s the stuff world wars are made of. As others have said, Putin can only do things as vile as invading a sovereign nation because he knows China will offset the inevitable sanctions. If that continues, I shudder to project where we all end up.

23 Likes

I’m not sure that’s going to protect them, if Nato, the UN, and the rest of the world allows Putin to take Ukraine. I would imagine the baltic states are extremely concerned right now. Hell, Putin has been launching cyberattacks against Estonia for more than a decade.

10 Likes

Not really. Weakening the internal and external unity of Western countries that might object to land grabs is part of the programme. Imagine how Biff might be acting right now if he had the power of a second term in the Oval Office behind him. He’d probably be sending Putin military aid against Ukraine instead of just making stupid statements.

As it is, Putin has the hosts of a major American news network shilling for him and his extortion racket. And then there are the American Know -Nothings who see him as the “great White hope”. That’s something new.

29 Likes

I don’t think Putin would attack a NATO country. That would likely result in the use of nukes and I don’t think he wants the end of the world.

8 Likes

Also, sanctioning Russian oil would raise gasoline prices and that would mean that Black Lives Matters win.

1 Like

Not perhaps nukes, but it would mean certainly troops. Or Europe is done for the next 50 years – again. And full embargoing, of course.

2 Likes
11 Likes