Russia invades Ukraine

“The Ukrainian Presidency has said that more than 40 soldiers have been killed since the Russian invasion of Ukraine began – and a few dozen injured.”

I would like to take this opportunity to implore everyone not to engage in bickering here. People are dying and there are dark days ahead of us. This is a place for debate, but please do not reply in anger to one another.

18 Likes

How very unsatisfactory for Tucker.

From the BBC liveblog:

A Russian journalist and Noble Peace Prize winner has said he and his colleagues are “grieving” over the invasion.

Dmitry Muratov, who edits the Novaya Gazeta newspaper, one of Russia’s few remaining independent publications says: “As well as grief, we are experiencing shame.”

He accuses Putin of “toying with a nuclear button as if it were a keyring of an expensive car” and asks: “What next - a nuclear strike?”

“I don’t see any other interpretation of Vladimir Putin’s words about ‘a weapon of retribution’.”

Muratov won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2022 in recognition of his fight for freedom of expression in Russia.

The next edition of Novaya Gazeta we are going to publish in Russian and Ukrainian, because we do not consider Ukraine our enemy and Ukrainian language - the language of an enemy, and never will." from Dmitry Muratov Editor, Novaya Gazeta

https://twitter.com/alistaircoleman/status/1496800966041120771

8 Likes

Hah! And I wondered where von Ribbentrop was this time. Guess he moved to the US, but at least he and his ilk aren’t part of the government.

A reminder: Alaska used to be Russian, until the West forced the Crimean War on Russia and they had to sell Alaska to the US.

4 Likes

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: And Whatabout Your Black People…?

Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

21 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: And Whatabout Your Black People…?

15 Likes

Always fun to learn pertinent new vocabulary words…

16 Likes

China can forge closer relations with Russia or Europe, but not both.

12 Likes

Oh. Is that what the Afghans wanted, then?

11 Likes
32 Likes

The air raid sirens just went off here in Warsaw. I’m sure it’s just a test, but I’m scared.

48 Likes
25 Likes

Thanks for the news, but why is this a reply to my post?

1 Like

Apologies, I meant to reply to my own last post.

4 Likes
15 Likes

This reminds me of the Mr. Rogers adage, “When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, “my mother would say to me, ‘Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.’”, though the repercussions for the brave souls who do this are chilling.

On this dark day, I am grateful to the BB community who offer me insight, humor and camaraderie on a regular basis.

36 Likes
11 Likes
13 Likes