Russia invades Ukraine

all too brief but

12 Likes

And again today.

12 Likes

I know there were plenty of joint exercises, sure, but the Luftwaffe tweeting (hah) about helping secure Polish skies feels very weird to me.

https://twitter.com/Team_Luftwaffe?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1498528344106745856|twgr^hb_2_8|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiegel.de%2Fpolitik%2Fdeutschland%2Fukraine-krieg-deutsche-luftwaffe-sichert-polnischen-luftraum-a-daca9d7f-10cc-437a-a48f-1cd68a2f58c9

7 Likes
15 Likes
3 Likes
9 Likes

Pretty sure that the Poles don’t need the warning, population-size wise it looks as if it was mostly us Germans who kidded ourselves about Putin’s appetites.

6 Likes

Pretty much

26 Likes

German Boinger, is it me, that accounts (especially at Spiegel Online) that are so very, very understanding towards Putin and “asking questions about Ukraine” have suspiciously often the same given name as part of their handle?

If so, which one is it? For me it seems to be Hans.

3 Likes

Fuuuuuuuuuuccckkk

This is informed by the threat to cultural heritage being exactly as dire as I predicted. But mostly by talking to a friend in Kyiv all morning

16 Likes

I don’t follow German social media but I wouldn’t be surprised if there was major disinformation going on. We’ve always been a prime target for that, due to our historic ties to the country and our huge Russian diaspora. Though you’d think someone who speaks German well enough to write such messages would know the country well enough to choose a less stereotypical name.

12 Likes

As a Polish citizen, it makes me really happy that relations between Poland and Germany have evolved this way.

22 Likes

Oh fuck off, Boris. It’s good that you’re on the right side of history for once but nobody cares about your grandstanding right now.

25 Likes

As a German citizen, same here.

20 Likes

Definitely.

11 Likes

Oh, and an amusing tidbit from Germany.

Gerhard Schröder, former chancellor of Germany, now Russian lobbyist, has a tax-paid office due to his status as former chancellor. The four office workers, employed by the Federal Office of the Chancellor more or less resigned by asking to be re-assigned to another branch of the office.

21 Likes
19 Likes

Lol. Though I think it’s a bit cheap, I hope buyers up the price beyond the markup. But the wordplay is great.

20 Likes
23 Likes
15 Likes