Russia invades Ukraine

13 Likes

Does he have ends of a term? Quite a few countries are okay with re-election for multiple terms. Though changing the rules for that one guy to run again is certainly a bad sign. We’ve seen it in Russia.

5 Likes

ive been curious if anyone knows: does the fact that russia can move a 25km long convoy containing hundreds of vehicles mean ukraine lacks the ability to bomb them from the air, or are they deliberately only engaging specific kinds of russian forces?

a cease fire, without a cease movement, seems like russia could get even more of their supplies - the supplies they’ve so far seemingly been lacking - into place

13 Likes

I’m glad the Ukrainians seem to have the upper hand in this war, but the Russia is still intent on taking innocent lives in Kharkiv.

10 Likes

looks like it’s a while out. 2024 would be the end of his first term, then he can run again ( if there’s a ukraine :cry: ) another 5 year term.

8 Likes

So that’s plenty of time to do a lot of good work. If he can’t get the people behind in that time, another term won’t fix it.

Personally, I’m all for term limits here. Even in functioning democracies like Germany where multiple terms end with fist bumping your democratically elected successor, anything over a decade seems to lead to calcification.

8 Likes

There doesn’t seem to be an answer on that.

It might be the Ukrainians don’t have the equipment to do more than slow it down, or it could be that it doesn’t need to be dealt with yet.

It’s kind of been tripping over it’s own feet thus far. With fuel problems and break downs, it’s taken them more than 24 hours to move less than 100 miles. And it seems like the Ukrainians have actually attacked it, it stalled for a good long while at one point (ETA: and might be stuck currently?).

Otherwise doesn’t seem to be doing much besides lumbering towards Kyev, so I guess Ukraine can pick their moment.

But either way the convoy is apparently loaded with anti-aircraft equipment, and the Ukrainians don’t have a ton of planes.

I’ve seen military people saying the proper way to deal with something like this is stopping the front with artillery, then blocking the back/cut off the supply train with airstrikes. It’s apparently outside of artillery range for anything in Kyev.

12 Likes
18 Likes

Yeah and they only have like 18 of the damn things. Each one can carry at most 4 missiles.

It seems like they have been using them to harass and slow the big convoy.

The smaller convoys they’ve destroyed they apparently used the drones to halt them or take out AA, and then spot for artillery.

Those drones are apparently very good, particularly for how little they cost vs the capability. But they aren’t going to be taking out 100s of vehicles all on their own.

13 Likes

For some reason I thought they used these.

6 Likes
13 Likes

A museum I am really worried about is the National Museum. Not just because the director, Fedir Androshchuk, is a well-known Viking Age archaeologist, i.e. someone, while I’ve never met him, who moves in my circles, but also because the reason a Viking Age person is the director is that there are many objects of the Kievan Rus in the museum. We have all heard Putin’s rambling justification for this war, and the historic identification of the Russian people with the Rus was one of the main reasons mentioned. Which means that, should they get to the museum, there is a high chance artefacts will be “transferred” to Russia to support that claim for a local audience.

Plus, of course there’s gold and stuff, which is vulnerable to “normal” looting.

22 Likes

That’s one way of putting it…

15 Likes

Does seem to be a bit of a soft sell…
b6bd8fd0-fe6b-4ece-b403-58d61ac4f192_text

13 Likes

They do now!

20 Likes

I don’t know. There is definitely cheese with terroir (many Swiss cheeses are dependent on the alpine herbs the cows eat) but brie and feta aren’t particularly affected by that, I should think. There are many great bries being produced outside France (including in the US) and feta is originally from Bulgaria anyway. I think this has more to do with the youth of the Russian cheese industry. Like a good cheese, it has to mature before it is good and now this will take even longer because there will be less influx of foreign expertise.

6 Likes

Another Garbage Day newsletter link.

This one is looking at the bad colonial takes of western journalists, how occupations are treated differently based on who we think is being occupied, effects of platforms treating war like any other content, why TikTok is not a good source of information, and the strange crypto stuff going on around the invasion of Ukraine. Some other non-invasion stuff too.

5 Likes

“It’s taken me a while to figure out what they’re trying to do because it looks so ridiculous and incompetent,” Michael Kofman, director of Russian studies at the CNA think tank, said on Twitter of the Russian advance. “The Russian operation is a bizarre scheme, based on terrible political assumptions, with poor relationship to their training & capabilities.”

14 Likes
13 Likes
10 Likes