Russia invades Ukraine

Maybe a warning about the dead on display there?

13 Likes

I noticed the week before, the embassies were clearing out. Embassies are where the spies hang out. I guess the rule is “when embassy staff run, try to keep up”.

12 Likes

Seems like the big convoy arrives at Kyiv in the coming day.

Here’s hoping for a belated Christmas miracle.

8 Likes

Frustrated Clint Eastwood GIF

4 Likes

A friend grew up in the former Yugoslavia. He did his compulsory military service, and commented: “In a volunteer army, you learn to follow orders and work together. In a conscripted army, the first thing you learn is how to get out of following orders: in a shooting war orders will get you killed, and you didn’t want to be there anyway.”

23 Likes
23 Likes

Rations expired seven years ago. I’m seeing a pattern. The war in Ukraine spurred me to move up a particular DVD in my watch pile; Confessions, (1998) by Alexander Sokurov, he being my second favorite Russian director. Sokurov took his documentary of life aboard a Russian battleship and overlayed a fictional story comprising the ship’s captain’s thoughts and ruminations. What struck me most was how pathetically, and irrevocably dismal and mind-numbingly monotonous life was (is?) aboard a Russian military vessel. (The conscripted seaman — all very young – looked as miserable and bemused as the Russians captured in the Ukraine.) Winter conditions; no hot water; soap being rationed out; and then there was the food.

22 Likes

Expired 7 years ago- and one of them looked like it had an egg in it?

18 Likes

What happens when a kleptocracy diverts $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to a few individuals.

15 Likes
18 Likes

Just a thought: With China ominously uttering Ukraine and Taiwan in the same breath, I wonder if Japan and South Korea would do well to help Ukraine as Germany has. That would send quite the loud message to China re Taiwan.

12 Likes

Japan and South Korea are doing a lot.

23 Likes

Welly-welly well. I did not know that! THX!

13 Likes

It’s worth noting that Japan has long seen Russia as a major strategic enemy, and the two countries are still locked in a territorial dispute over four islands off the coast of Hokkaido. This is not a distant abstraction to the people of Japan, and I’m seeing a lot of solidarity with the people of Ukraine here.

In fact, yesterday the Prefectural Government Office in Shinjuku, Tokyo was lit up in the colors of the Ukrainian flag.

28 Likes

(excerpt) Dee tweeted “I absolutely approve of Ukrainians using ‘We’re Not Gonna Take It’ as their battlecry. My grandfather was Ukrainian, before it was swallowed up by the USSR after WW2. This can’t happen to these people again!”

28 Likes
17 Likes

I think it’s a plastic spoon, but seeing as it’s Russia we can’t rule it out.

18 Likes

I swear they are getting downright puckish with the videos of captured Russian swag.

15 Likes

Every farmer ever: “You know, once this thing is emptied out I could use it as a rain barrel!”

Also, every neighborhood has that one person who can’t resist adding another junk vehicle on their lawn.

23 Likes

AirTracker?

In case this was about AirTags, unless Apple makes a very, very serious effort, the Russians could easily give false information. The Find My network is designed so only the user can make sense of the data.

4 Likes