Russia state TV host says Kremlin has to decide whether to "reinstall" Trump as U.S. president "again"

Originally published at: Russia state TV host says Kremlin has to decide whether to "reinstall" Trump as U.S. president "again" | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Another case of folks saying the quiet evil thing out loud

32 Likes

Before or after they invade Alaska?

14 Likes

What consequences they are likely to face, they already are for their genocidal war. So now the best bet is to sell the idea that it’s all criminal mastermind evil instead of petty thug evil, I guess.

17 Likes

First, if they could install that stooge why wouldn’t they?

Second, they’re not giving enough credit to the right-wing Americans who are happy to do Putin’s dirty work.

22 Likes

True, but they definitely stoked the fires especially through social media.

8 Likes

*sighs

C'mon bad karma

19 Likes

I would ask if you meant Oleg, Donald, or Vladimir, but I suspect that the answer would be simply “yes.”

I look forward to all of their obituaries. After they see all they built collapse around them, that is.

20 Likes

They were never particularly quiet about it in Russia. If anything it was a point of national pride that their government had the power and influence to dictate the outcome of an American election.

23 Likes

I think this is really just them puffing up their nationalistic ego, the “Russia’s rightful place in the world” crap, by acting like they control the US elections.

Certainly they helped Trump in 2016, but it’s not like they weren’t trying in 2020.

14 Likes

the US public has an incredibly short memory, and an immense sense of pride. “there’s no way Russia could install a US president!” they cry, and of course, this would be true.

they can not, by fiat, choose the outcome of a US election. they can however, dump tons of money into their party of favor, buy influence, and run a state-resource-level psy-ops campaign against the public to advertise their desired outcome.

and there is overwhelming evidence that this is exactly what they did. would it work again? who knows!

the damage is already done. they threw a rock through the Overton Window and American Fascism is on the rise like it’s 1938.

18 Likes

“There’s two people I think Putin pays: Rohrabacher and Trump”

Kevin McCarthy, June 15, 2016

17 Likes

Yes, although it reads to me a bit like taking credit for a thing that happened. They want their people and the world to believe they are Machiavellian masterminds who can install a US President. Sure they did a bunch of propaganda and stuff on social media, but let’s face it- America elected Trump. Russia maybe helped a little, but it was gonna happen.

9 Likes

Turns out Kevin forgot to add himself to the list:

9 Likes

And anyway, paying Trump is like pouring water into a sieve. :man_shrugging:

9 Likes

It was a close enough election that I have little doubt their help was enough to push him over the top.

13 Likes

Professional troll trolls professionally.

It’s probably unarguable that the Kremlin wanted Trump as president, correctly seeing him as the most chaotic and divisive (and least competent) option available. They may even have been pleasantly surprised to find that they had underestimated his divisiveness and incompetence.

Robert Mueller concluded, based on substantial evidence, that they definitely tried to tip the balance in is favor.

But did it work? That, I think, is still an open question. Personally, I doubt that all their social media machinations had even a fraction of the impact of twenty years of Fox News programming. If anyone “installed” Trump, it was Rupert Murdoch, not Vladimir Putin.

But – in keeping with the general project of weakening their geopolitical enemy by creating chaos and suspicion, it’s definitely in Russia’s interest to pretend that they can impose the candidate of their choosing on us at will. And I think whoever is scripting Skabeyeva’s utterances has that as a goal, and that’s how we should interpret her remarks.

10 Likes
2 Likes

sigh. you make a very compelling point.

7 Likes

First of all, it was the rubes, not to be confused with the Rus’ people, who voted for Trump. Second, it’s almost as if the TV station of Russia considers the American people as its real audience.

2 Likes