Trump explains that Russia is not the problem, it is the United States

Originally published at: Trump explains that Russia is not the problem, it is the United States | Boing Boing

7 Likes

I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that a huge portion of Americans—including people I know—have somehow convinced themselves that Putin would be quickly brought to heel in Ukraine if Trump was in the White House right now.

47 Likes

I am always shocked that people who spent their LIVES fighting Russia and thinking Russia was the enemy now want to be Russia.

50 Likes

I say again that if The Manchurian Candidate was released today most Republicans would assume that Frank Sinatra’s character was the villain for standing in the way of the Soviet Union’s plan to get an idiot Republican elected President of the United States.

37 Likes

Apologies for including this image yet again. But i remain selfishly amazed that these two guys are dead-ringers for the two who harassed my parents that they were vile commie sympathizers for allowing me to be in a class to learn Russian language at my high-school (c1975) -sigh-

37 Likes

2016: “Make America Great Again.”

2020: “Keep America Great.”

2024: “Make America Russia.”

34 Likes

ISTR that Trump’s claim was that as President he’d “stop the war within 24 hours”, which is something altogether different and does not necessarily involve “bringing Putin to heel” at all.

18 Likes

Better Red than dead!

/s

9 Likes

I’ve met idiots who think that if we had Trump in office Putin wouldn’t dare pull this nonsense because Trump would threaten nuclear reprisals (it would be a bluff of course, but Putin wouldn’t know that).

11 Likes

Putin wouldn’t have invaded while Trump was in office, but only to avoid putting Trump in an impossible position.

6 Likes

Wait, the biggest problem is the US, because of people in the US that hate the US? Wouldn’t people that think that the US is the biggest problem fit the definition of people that hate the US?

6 Likes

Trump would stop the war by giving Putin what he wanted.

27 Likes

I hear a lot of Trump supporters make this claim without irony, but I think it’s pure American hubris to assume that Putin makes all his important decisions based on who happens to be in the White House. He sure didn’t refrain from doing a lot of nasty shit in Syria during Trump’s tenure.

17 Likes

“Why do Democrats hate America so much?” --Sean Hannity, circa 2004

13 Likes

When Trump said that “The greatest threat to Western civilization today is, not Russia, it’s probably, more than anything else, ourselves.” he was accidentally telling the truth if you consider “ourselves” the Cult of Trump (formerly known as the Republican party.)

22 Likes

One of Putin’s many clever moves after the end of the Cold War was presenting himself as the saviour of “white Christian civilisation”. He knew that Know-Nothings everywhere, eventually including in the U.S., would eat that rancid garbage up like it was gourmet Beef Stroganoff.

17 Likes

Republicans want to persecute everyone who isn’t straight, and Putin is showing them the way.

17 Likes

You got in one. In a radio interview with Sean Hannity earlier this month, Mangolini said:

“That’s without even negotiating a deal. I could have negotiated. At worst, I could’ve made a deal to take over something, there are certain areas that are Russian-speaking areas, frankly, but you could’ve worked a deal.”

That bit of the interview went out live, but - and you’d best sit down here - wasn’t played in the highlights that went out to a much larger audience on Fox News.

17 Likes

Make America great again by deporting tRump! Then all of his cultists can follow him to, and live in Russia. Problem solved.

14 Likes

“I’m not a traitor - everyone else is the traitor!”

Yeah, “sitting contentedly after being given everything he wants” does look an awful lot like “brought to heel” with the right framing.

That Trumpists simultaneously hold the views “give Putin everything he wants” and “threaten him with nukes” is what confuses me.

I’m convinced that Trump gave Putin the green light to invade, at least implicitly (but probably explicitly), and Putin was counting on a second Trump term for his invasion. When Trump lost, Putin said, “screw it, we’ll do it anyways.”

21 Likes