Russian asbestos firm loves Trump

Ways and means. All it will take is for someone higher up to realize they can pocket a bonus or a kickback, and figure it won’t be in the area where they have to work, and before you know it…

" Houses built between 1930 and 1950 may have asbestos as insulation." - link

… America is Great Again!

I can think of one lawyer that’s not very happy right now. I hope he stays unhappy.

2 Likes

Psssh; Giuliani barely even counts as an attorney in my book.

1 Like

I meant Michael Cohen, but yeah. Eff Giuliani too. Or has Cohen weaseled away when I wasn’t looking?

In my mind, he’s no longer a lawyer; his disbarment is all but guaranteed at this point.

1 Like

Or that they’ll be gone from the company when the piper comes calling.

3 Likes

There was a time, a few years back, when certainties were certainties. Now certainties are just way too elastic. I was certain Trump and his stooges couldn’t get away with the last five things they’ve gotten away with.

And even if he’s disbarred, he’ll always be a lawyer in his shriveled black soul.

1 Like

Lawyers have souls?

Also:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/07/politics/michael-cohen-tax-fraud/index.html

2 Likes

Trump’s been a vocal supporter of Big Asbestos for a while now, apparently.

3 Likes

Apparently Russian firm making asbestos loves Trump so much they’ve made him some asbestos pants.

3 Likes

Funnily there’s also a town called Asbest in Russia:

Maybe they should become sister cities?

Edit: The firm that made those Trump-pallets operates in Asbest, Russia.

5 Likes

It is still legal to use, but watch for OSHA to cut back on safety regulations in its use, and the EPA and SARA Title III to start making it easier to dispose of. Usually its the state governmental agencies (DEQ, DHS, whatever your state calls it) that handle the regulatory side of it. So, red states - beware.

2 Likes

The only way it could be used is if it’s embedded in a product that can’t bend during mining, refining, manufacture, installation, use, removal, and disaster, and where there is no abrasion that could expose the dust.

That limits it to … umm … can’t think of a single product where it would be safe.

4 Likes

we’ll make sure to line trumps cell with it

3 Likes

Trump is happy; the payoffs are already in the pipeline on their way to him. This administration is so corrupt it makes the Mafia look like choirboys.

The city health dept. worker who came to check our apartment for lead paint violations spent the whole time mansplaining to my wife (I had taken the babies to the park) why lead poisoning was a leftwing conspiracy to drum uo business/hand more power to government regulators or at best catering to overanxious, bored leftist elites. “first it was asbestos, now lead…” That was the first I’d heard that the denial went that deep. And this is a civil servant in NYC

( turns out our tub is made of lead. “but kids don’t drink the water! ha ha” … “they swallow water all the time in the bath!” … “…oh, yeah, then you might want to do something about that…”)

5 Likes

1979 I switched from asbestos to glass fiber for insulation in the boats we built; even back then we knew that asbestos was bad news. Obviously, my IQ is higher than Donald Trump’s.

1 Like

Insurance companies stopped selling life insurance to people working with asbestos in the 1920ies.
Asbestosis was recognised as a substance-related occupational disease in 1938 (in Germany).

Source: getting my qualification certificate in TRGS 519 Asbestos: Demolition, reconstruction or maintenance work a couple of years ago.

https://www.baua.de/EN/Service/Legislative-texts-and-technical-rules/Rules/TRGS/TRGS-519.html

6 Likes

To be fair, apart from the (massive) health problems, asbestos is a great material for heat/fire insulation. Just don’t use it anywhere near people or animals and you’re fine.
It’s a bit like CFC’s in that respect. Fantastic for the job they were designed for, but with a massive downside that renders them practically unusable.

1 Like

I seriously doubt that. Yes, he’s making even more money, but I don’t believe for a second that he’s not miserable as fuck inside.

Reading the report it seems like the EPA is only listing criteria for evaluating risks of existing uses–not setting standards for evaluation of potential uses.