Trump supporters follow blindly

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/18/trump-supporters-follow-blindl.html

10 Likes

I grabbed a copy about a year ago now and it was interesting… then got distracted by Pop. 1280 and other books. I should get back to that one.

5 Likes

But he IS doing all sorts of amazing things. Amazing tax cuts for the rich.
And he made Asbestos safe against - that is completely Amazing.
I stand slack-jaws in amazement every time he speaks.

22 Likes

44_1

" …such works were being branded as ‘entartete Kunst’ (Degenerate Art) by the Nazis, and Drewes’s use of abstraction signified a deeper resistance to the totalitarianism engulfing Europe in the 1930s."

9 Likes

Jesus fucking Christ.

20 Likes

I keep hearing about these amazing things Trump does but for the life of me can’t figure out that those things are.

46 Likes

THANKS BOING BOING!

Watching that video took care of the low blood pressure problem I was having. Now I just have to be careful I don’t blow a gasket from hypertension.

27 Likes

Buried the lead. Headline should read: Some Trump Supporters Admit Helsinki Performance Was Weak

10 Likes

If your BS detector is so broken that you voted for Trump - why would I be surprised at any decision you make?

37 Likes

I’m on a facebook group where there are plenty of Trump supporters on (even though it’s not a political group). I felt a bit anxious and disheartened after Helsinki when I heard such things as passionate, emotional comments that Trump will go down as the greatest president ever, and the only way they’d stop liking Trump if they found out he slept with Hillary. There is no way to reach these people. There is no logical argument that will get them to change their minds. The only way to combat it is to make them irrelevant.

39 Likes

I’d really like to know where in Michigan this was filmed. I’m guessing part of Oakland County that contains a large number of lakes and rich white people.

8 Likes

“I’m supposed to change my opinion about a President that’s doing all kinds of amazingly positive things because he murdered twelve children in cold blood?”

(If Obama bowing to the Prime Minster of Japan was treasonous, then what exactly is Trump siding with a foreign dictator over his own intelligence agencies?)

24 Likes

Sinclair Lewis novel It Can’t Happen Here, published in 1935, is about fascism coming to America. It has never been more relevant.

Fascism can come to America (and anywhere else) as bankruptcy came to the character in “The Sun Also Rises”:

“Two ways,” Mike said. “Gradually and then suddenly.”

Know-Nothings like the people in the video are, as your headline notes, one of the contributing factors.

12 Likes

I guess the talking point these days is “look at his actions, not his words”. But his actions pretty much mirror his words and they’re f’d up, un-democratic, delusional, nepotistic, and, well, pretty much treasonous at this point. So, his supporters / enablers justifications are pure BS but they keep trying. Oh, do they keep trying.

Lets not lose site that he’s just a shiny orange bauble to keep us distracted.

11 Likes

Or Bill. Doesn’t even have to be Bill Clinton, any Bill really.

2 Likes

Masha Gessen’s Rule 1 for surviving an autocracy: Believe the Autocrat.

Alternately you can go with Maya Angelou: “When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time.”

19 Likes

Stop your trade wars drumpf, you’re killing us out here!

2 Likes

27 Likes

I could only watch half of it because I could feel myself getting dumber and dumber as it went on. I still have some work to do this afternoon and can’t get below a certain baseline of stupid.

11 Likes

Fuck that is so disturbing but also accurate.

5 Likes