Russian billionaire Mikhail Fridman says "I don't know how to live” on monthly allowance of $3,300

the UK should keep his allowance and give him a flat in Kiev.

I hear the bread lines aren’t too long.

13 Likes

“I don’t know how to live,” he told Baker. “I don’t know. I really don’t know.”

gifhaus-funhaus

13 Likes

$3,300 a month. What a pittance

Flexing Cash Money GIF by Freedomists

13 Likes
3 Likes

Not to mention the huge estate and the staff needed to maintain it. Even if his goal was just to liquidate his remaining assets as quickly as possible it would probably be hard for him to find a reputable financial manage with a budget that small.

Which is not to say that I particularly care about his plight. His fortunes were built on theft and blood.

12 Likes

That’s the main reason I never gave in to my desire to own a super-yacht. The sticker price is one thing, but the upkeep
:wink:

21 Likes

22 Likes

c923ea5c0fe2714a9e7539deac698a2b

24 Likes

Back when the term one-percenter was entering the national zeitgeist, one of the new york papers posted a opinion by a guy who claimed that an income of $400,000 was barely holding on. He might even have to take his daughters out of private school! His basic needs were being misinterpreted as extravagant luxuries by proles who just didn’t have the income to understand.

15 Likes

Normally when someone says a property is “underwater” it’s a metaphor for an asset with negative equity, but when you’re a Russian oligarch and your mechanic is Ukrainian it can be both.

15 Likes

Even with assets that are stuck in Russia, there are always exchanges you could do on paper – there are plenty of people in London who owe money to Russia/China/etc. so there’s room to make it work – but why would you take the risk to your personal, physical well-being by dealing with these guys?

If I’m a fancy-pants banker in London, sure, I could find a way to lend him five million pounds, but if his fortunes don’t change, he may decide that his loan is better dealt with by some Russian muscle.

4 Likes

Yeah, there have been a bunch of those. I saw one a few years back in Fortune or CNBC or something that tried to “prove” a family making $350,000 plus a year was just scraping by. They even broke down the amounts they spent as evidence. And it was hysterical. They were literally shitting money away on vacations to the tune of $12,000 a year or more. You ain’t scraping by if you’re spending that much on trips each year. I had fun mocking it, but I also grew up in a family where if you had heat and hot water, it was a banner fucking day.

14 Likes

Pff, that’s easy. Just choose between your health, a quality education for your children, a healthy diet, transportation, retirement or living in an area without access to anything culturally enriching. You can have exactly one. Just like the rest of us.

For a single person with no debt? Maybe. Children, a mortgage, utilities, health insurance, transportation and food will eat every damn penny of that. And don’t even think about retiring.

8 Likes

“I don’t know how to live” on monthly allowance of $3,300

10 Likes

I care only insofar as it motivates them put their collective thumb on the scale against their ex-KGB leader.

6 Likes

I got a trio right here for him:
nopity violin

tumblr_m6ueo5BlJH1r4u9wdo1_400

barren

12 Likes

Anything else has to be approved, which probably includes the money to maintain that estate. If his rent/taxes/financing/utilities for that place are covered, then his allowance is more than decent.

5 Likes

7 Likes

Worf: “Then die.”

5 Likes

Reading thru the comments flashed me back to this scene:

6 Likes