Russian driver encounters rare endangered Amur Tiger walking down the road (VIDEO)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/15/video-russian-driver-sees-an.html

7 Likes

I never heard of an Amur- but they are also called Siberian Tigers. I have heard of those.

Neat.

PS- stay way from America! We got Carol Baskin - and other tiger nutters!

9 Likes

Must have escaped after an Esso tanker truck crashed somewhere.

12 Likes

I haven’t seen the show, but someone involved in tiger conservation pointed out that of all the people on that show, she was the most reasonable and correct and the show was wildly miseducating its audience. American tiger breeders like Exotic claim to be about conservation, but they’re actually breeding Frankentigers for roadside “zoos”; they breed together different species of tigers into something that’s not native to any environment, and then horribly inbreed them to get popular (but unnatural) color variations, leading to mass birth defects and lots of euthanized tiger cubs.

11 Likes

Wow, that’s awesome. Such beautiful cats.

Thanks, @xeni!

4 Likes

Putting a tiger in a tank. Ha-ha. I don’t even want to think about putting our pussycat into her cage when it’s time for the vet again.

2 Likes

Eh, she probably is better now, but she was a breeder earlier on. So a bit of hypocrisy.

But that isn’t why people don’t like her.

There is a tiger rescue near me in Kansas. I think they are one of the good ones, as I knew they spay and neuter the animals.

Is changing your views about something and then actively changing what you do actually hypocrisy, though? No, no it’s not. Hypocrisy is saying one thing and then doing another at the same time.

6 Likes

Stop killing game cats. Done.

If you want to hunt tiger or leopard print, just head to Jersy on a Friday night and leave the felines alone.

1 Like

Correct, like profiting from big cats in cages.

What erks me is individuals who self-righteously seek legislation to prohibit other peoples activities. Guns, gay marriage, birth control, abortion, drugs, and big cats are all things that should be regulated not eliminated.

2 Likes

This reminded me of an excellent Kurosawa movie “Dersu Uzala” - which one an academy award in 1975.

3 Likes

My understanding is that she is running a rescue for big cats that are essentially abandoned by their owners, or from illegitimate operations getting shut down. She is not breeding them. Sounds like she’d like private zoos and ownership to end, and let them all die off (including the ones she has), outside of proper zoos and the wild. She runs the sanctuary as a non-profit, and in many ways, guest interaction with the cats seems categorically different, for the most part, than the more free-wheeling operations. I don’t find any of this particularly hypocritical, but hey, you do you.

3 Likes

Explain it however you want. That charity clears $1mil a year after expenses. Money generated from big cats in small cages.

1 Like

Knowing how nasty the others are, this isn’t really a great endorsement for Carol.

2 Likes

:musical_note: When the cat hits the highway like a big pizza pie that’s Amur-ay. :musical_note:

4 Likes

Wow that’s some vintage furry pandering :wink:

2 Likes

The “defense” I saw of her was along the lines of, “What she’s doing has its issues, but…” Less a defense, more a general attack on the shit-show that is tiger breeding in the US.

4 Likes

Nor I. And Netflix trying to push Tiger King every time I log-in is starting to tick me off. I personally have zero interest in watching a gawkumentary about animal abuse, especially cats. People who’s taste and in some cases judgement respect have conveyed the sense that it’s a show about varying degrees of despicable people, which makes me want to watch it even less.

/end_rant

6 Likes

I’m not leaving the boat. Never leave the boat.

3 Likes

ok so i am watching this and yelling “Go Straight Dumbass!” until i realized i was watching the gif preview. give me a break, it’s early.

2 Likes